M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who has modded a stock out there provide any specifics? Measurements, materials and methods, pictures and most importantly step by step instructions. I know there is a thread about modifying stocks but I would rather get some good details before I really screw the pooch on this one.FRG1

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
This is a usgi stock with a Knoxx recoil absorbing shotgun stock for the 870 grafted to it. The Knoxx and the usgi stock are cut down on a chop saw. The hardest part was getting the cut on both of them correct (angle and length). They are attached using the hardware (a long bolt in tension) that is part of the Knoxx stock. I added 2 anti rotation screws above the large structural screw, though 1 would probably have sufficed. I also put a stainless bolt through the glass stock just above and behind the trigger group. There is a perfect area of webbing for it already there. This provides strength to the stock because it is molded and joined together, and cutting the stock at the wrist probably took away some structural integrity. The bolt is now countersunk on both sides, and will not be visible when I do the finish on the stock. A little grinding was also necessary on the Knoxx stock where the M1A trigger housing meets the pistol grip. There are two crescent shaped metal pieces that engage a pin on the 870 trigger group when under recoil, and these need to be shaved back to make room for the back of the trigger guard. Its really a one shot deal when you make the cuts, so the old saying about measuring twice and cutting once really applies. Actually I measured about 20 times because I was really worried about screwing up either piece - (screwing the pooch). I figure I got pretty lucky that it came out alright the first time, without having to buy one or both pieces again, how often does that happen?! I think the total cost was around $160.00. I really wanted a pistol grip stock, but couldn't cough up $500.00 or more. I started with a well used usgi stock ($30.00 gun show buy) and the Knoxx which (I think) costs around $120.00 I'll take some detailed pics and post them along with angles and lengths if you want.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Will do. Just need a couple of days because of the holidays. On another note, I'm curious about the Air Force tag on your post by a Marine machine gunner. What gives? Nothin against the chair force, my brother was a 130 driver. He was overseas for 4 years riskin his butt. Sometimes just delivering Stars and Stripes on his "route" if you can believe that.GI3

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a misstype dang iPhone has small keys and I have big hands.thanks for the assist the mire info the more detailed the better.BLUESDEVIL

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Uhh, wait one. It occurred to me last night that I have created an automaticly bump firing rifle. Under recoil the stock travels rearward about an inch ALONG WITH THE TRIGGER up the "ramp" where the stock is attached. Following through on the trigger will probably result in the trigger returning to "home" and meeting my finger now in the squeezed position. GI8 I feel a little dumb right now having posted without checkin this out. Of course the simple solution is to immobilize the aluminum block that attaches to the usgi stock to the Tube end of the butt. This leaves only the spring in the "buffer tube" working. Knoxx makes one for the Rem 870 (870 NRS) that does not have the recoil function, and it costs less. It looks almost identical but I can't say without having it in hand. It would actually be an easier mod because the area behind the trigger housing would take less work because there is no recoil spring in the pistol grip. Sorry to take your time on this without actually trying it....(slinks away with his tail between his legs!)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh don't worry about it man we all screw up. But I would still like the info if you can hook a devil up. I'll use your post so that way I don't get an auto bump weapon as well. Hell people have accused me of having a full auto when I just use my finger!! No joke I had a guy accuse me up until the point I let him shoot it and he discovered what a j*ck*ss he was then he apologized and walked away red faced.GI8

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I am going to buy the non recoil absorbing stock asap and put it on. After looking at it online I see that it is identical minus the recoil springs MCORPS1. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts