M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I received my M1A standard, black fiberglass .308 last week. I did some modification, LRB NM op-rod guide, Tubb op-rod spring, Tubb trigger spring, shimmed the gas cylinder. I installed a Bassett mount, SWFA 10x42 MOA scope. Results were, in a word, spectacular! On paper 5 shot groups were 1.25 to 1.5 MOA at 100 yards.
I was able to hit the smallest swingers out to 500 yards. Zero was 100 yards, 3 MOA at 200, 5 MOA at 300, 9 MOA at 400, 13 at MOA at 500. This rifle is going to used primarily for coyotes, pigs, and deer, and pronghorn. With my 165gr TSX load it is dead nuts out to 500 yards. Where we are here in SoCal there are a lot of bears. I have my tag, that I can use in any zone that is open.
I have a loaded model coming, from Carolina Caliber that is going to get the match treatment. So it will be my accuracy gun, overall extremely pleased! L8899#

·
Registered
350 Posts
Gents,

I received my M1A standard, black fiberglass .308 last week. I did some modification, LRB NM op-rod guide, Tubb op-rod spring, Tubb trigger spring, shimmed the gas cylinder. I installed a Bassett mount, SWFA 10x42 MOA scope. Results were, in a word, spectacular! On paper 5 shot groups were 1.25 to 1.5 MOA at 100 yards.
I was able to hit the smallest swingers out to 500 yards. Zero was 100 yards, 3 MOA at 200, 5 MOA at 300, 9 MOA at 400, 13 at MOA at 500. This rifle is going to used primarily for coyotes, pigs, and deer, and pronghorn. With my 165gr TSX load it is dead nuts out to 500 yards. Where we are here in SoCal there are a lot of bears. I have my tag, that I can use in any zone that is open.
I have a loaded model coming, from Carolina Caliber that is going to get the match treatment. So it will be my accuracy gun, overall extremely pleased! L8899#
Very cool. Quite a satisfying thing when a rifle performs for you first time out. What changes do you think had the biggest benefit?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Winner! The optic! But I feel the op rod guide, gas system shimming, and the Tubb springs contributed heavily towards the great accuracy of the rifle. But SAI did their part of course, because the build quality of this firearm was excellent out the door. There was no play in the gas system, trigger was good. I have had a number of SAI rifles over the years. And the quality has varied. Loose barrel bands, crappy triggers, broken extractors, sheered off bolt lugs. When the GI parts began to run out, their first F series bolts were terrible. I paid a pretty penny for this last of John C Garand kids. But I am not going to spend $350 for a bolt, $300 for an op rod or $400 for a barrel or any other GI parts. I don’t criticize those that do, it’s your rifle do as you wish. But the Springfield Armory rifles are the most accessible for the average guy.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So-Tex, I will be sending my gas cylinder off to Ted Brown for unitizing, possibly the trigger, and maybe for stock bedding. Definitely for the unitized cylinder. Have to ask him about the stock, and trigger group. L8899#

·
Registered
350 Posts
Winner! The optic! But I feel the op rod guide, gas system shimming, and the Tubb springs contributed heavily towards the great accuracy of the rifle. But SAI did their part of course, because the build quality of this firearm was excellent out the door. There was no play in the gas system, trigger was good. I have had a number of SAI rifles over the years. And the quality has varied. Loose barrel bands, crappy triggers, broken extractors, sheered off bolt lugs. When the GI parts began to run out, their first F series bolts were terrible. I paid a pretty penny for this last of John C Garand kids. But I am not going to spend $350 for a bolt, $300 for an op rod or $400 for a barrel or any other GI parts. I don’t criticize those that do, it’s your rifle do as you wish. But the Springfield Armory rifles are the most accessible for the average guy.
Sounds like everything is just working smoothly, no hangups.

Yes a scope helps accuracy. By helping the shooter. It doesn't actually make the gun itself more accurate.

Sounds like you got a well built one to start with, and the changes just added to the consistent, smooth operation to help the gun run accurately.

·
Registered
SAI M1A standard, SAI SOCOM 16 in USGI WOOD, Ithaca 1911(‘43) too many others to list
221 Posts
Nice that you got a good one! I was fortunate to do the same. I bought a standard 22” sporting walnut from a friend for 1k. It had maybe 50 rounds through it. I installed a schuster adjustable GP, SEI muzzle thread adapter with my can, sadlak airborne mount with vortex 3-15 pst gen 2, and a Bradley cheek riser. Shoots an honest 1.5 moa with cheap 168 grain loads from American marksman. Great rifles. Now I’m neck deep in the socom rabbit hole!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts