M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading in our forum about the Binary triggers. They fire 1 round on pull, 1 round on release. That seems compliant with BATFE who presently only address 1 round for one pull. So, what if a trigger fired 2 or 3 rounds on the release? Granted I think the Rare Breed and WOT reset triggers are much better operations (closer to a full auto experience) but makes me wonder.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The one I looked at hard out of curiosity had a multi-position safety. Position one was safe. Position two was normal operation, one pull and release was one shot. Position three was discharge on pull, discharge on release.

Nothing I wanted, just curious from a engineering standpoint

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, just reading the BATFE wording it reads one function of the trigger (not "pull" as I thought).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Binary triggers are a hot topic of debate with the ATF right now. Those and forced reset triggers...

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
1,257 Posts
I understood that the BATFE position on binary triggers (from last year anyway) was that one bullet for each actuation of the trigger was considered semi-auto fire. Under that wording, one pull was one actuation while one release was another single actuation.

At that time, my thought was that this was a really fine hair to split. In any case, doing a mag dump with a quick finger on a binary trigger looks like fun, but other than the "Giggle-Factor" WHY?

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
1,257 Posts
And now I have looked up the forced trigger reset options and I am appalled that this work-around is considered legal, but the so-called bump-stock is not.

Whatever your feelings are on rapid-fire-but-not automatic-fire, the FRT and binary trigger sets cannot be that different in effect. Either they are all legal to own or none of them are.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
1,257 Posts
In another thread I read that Bump-Stocks are now legal again, but not commonly available. So I would think that both the binary triggers and FRT set ups would be too.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am just not a fan of binary triggers. Might be fun at the range. But practical useage when you have to shoot on purpose?? I don't like the idea of sending another round downrange on trigger relase.

For my battle AR15s, I installed SD3s - and they are plenty fast. These triggers make more sense for a real purpose.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I am just not a fan of binary triggers. Might be fun at the range. But practical useage when you have to shoot on purpose?? I don't like the idea of sending another round downrange on trigger relase.

For my battle AR15s, I installed SD3s - and they are plenty fast. These triggers make more sense for a real purpose.
One can just use the semi auto setting in the case of traditional single shots and switch to binary for higher rate of single shots.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
1,257 Posts
What concerns me about a binary trigger is the possibility of an accidental or unintentional discharge by someone well trained in conventional and traditional gun safety routines.

I have less concern about the Forced Reset Triggers (FRT) because they only shoot when you are intending to pull on the trigger. When the shooter intends to release the trigger it does not shoot.

Have I explained what I mean adequately?

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
The Franklin Arsenal Binary trigger I bought allows you to switch out of 'binary' after the pull of the trigger if you want to stop a round from firing before you release the trigger. You do have to learn how to operate your rifle differently if equipped with such a trigger, and ensure others know if you were to share it at the range to try it, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts