M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mainers are more likely to have heard the story of Christopher Knight than others. I had not heard it until reading this GQ Magazine article. For others unfamiliar with the story, this guy survived living in a tent for over thirty years in the backwoods of Northern Maine, winters and all!

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit?currentPage=5

Edit: I notice (to late) that the link takes you to page 5 of the article. You can scroll back to the beginning of the article at the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
This is an interesting story, but my opinion on this after reading is that he doesn't have very many real survival skills other then sleeping in a tent, he stole everything he needed to live, food, ect...he didn't even light a fire in 30 years! If society failed he would fail, even at stealing, he is a parasite. I do not admire this guy or his craft at all. Heck there are city punks that have been sleeping in like conditions and stealing thier whole lives too.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Yes, interesting. I'd heard of the arrest and the relief the community felt but nothing after that. The guy is no saintly hermit, that's for sure, but the details all ring true.

Story I heard of in modern times that comes close to this was that of Eric Rudolph, but he killed people and liked it.

Funny, there was a similar hermit legend in the very backwoods of where I grew up, came from the 1940s and was a ghost story by the time I came along. Man was known as The Woods Man [and he had an alternate suspected family name I will not repeat here], tale was told by people my parent's age or older. But in his day that man stuck to the dirt roads and IMO was probably a crazy hired hand living on a farm somewhere. He was a peeping tom type, entered homes too though, wouldn't have lived 30 seconds if he ever got caught by someone in the community.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Oh, he's definitely a parasite.

What I'm amazed at is he didn't freeze to death, especially during the 98 ice storm. After living in the Rockies I'll take the worst cold there over the cold here any day. Here it gets so wet that four inches of snow can easily bog down a decently powered snow blower and it feels like it takes forever to get warm again. I worked outdoors in Colorado in boots, shorts, and a fleece(sometimes t-shirt) in Jan. and Feb., I wouldn't do that for very long here let alone consider it in Maine.

We have a neighbor who drives truck for a living go out for awhile two winters ago and left the heat on in his house while away. One morning his next door neighbor woke up and went to his kitchen to get breakfast only to see water coming out from all the windows because even with the heat on his pipes still burst.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
This is an interesting story, but my opinion on this after reading is that he doesn't have very many real survival skills other then sleeping in a tent, he stole everything he needed to live, food, ect...he didn't even light a fire in 30 years! If society failed he would fail, even at stealing, he is a parasite. I do not admire this guy or his craft at all. Heck there are city punks that have been sleeping in like conditions and stealing thier whole lives too.
I was thinking the same thing. His only real skill, if you can call it that, is his ability to do without human contact.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
I forgot to say that his insanity is demonstrated by his stated preference for those lesser composers over JS Bach. Or if it's not due to insanity, then the man is evil indeed.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Fascinating stuff. He should not have been preying on folks so much, it scares the hell out people and makes them feel unsafe in thier own homes. That's as far as I will go with that moral judgement. If he had gotten shot over it, I wouldn't be rioting in the street.

The really bizarre part is going to be him trying to step back into contemporary American culture. It would be at this point that I would want to read his journals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.