M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
Like the old hair creme ditty, "A little dab will do ya!!"
Unfortunately- the number of folks that can read Bryl continues to shrink...

Reactions: unkola

Registered
I never used the stuff, when I was a kid all the guys got a flat top or crewcut and used butch wax. -Lloyd 馃嵒

Reactions: Para Pete

Registered
I am know in the process of total dissasembly of five M1s and 3 M14 clones that were greased with Lubriplate 130-A . Lubriplate 130-A turned into a crusty and hard substance to remove. I am know using Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube Grease.
Lubriplate is an operating grease, not for storage. It is intended to be applied with that little flat-tipped applicator that comes with the USGI container. A small dab, rubbed into the few locations shown in FM 23-8. It should be cleaned off and reapplied after each use.

The old rule still applies... If you can see the grease, you have used too much. It only collects dirt and leads to trouble.

Registered
I traded emails with a US Army veteran who carried an EBR in Afghanistan circa 2011. He has posted that he "hated it with a passion" but said it got him out of a couple of tough spots during this deployment. I sent him an email asking why. The problem? They were not issued with any grease. Below is our correspondence:
Squad Military camouflage Camouflage Ballistic vest Military uniform

Random Guy: Hi, Thanks for your service and for the pic circa 2011. May I ask what you disliked about the M14 EBR? Aside from the portly 15 lb weight, I was curious why you disliked your EBR, thanks and Happy Holidays.

Vet who carried an EBR in Afghanistan: "The design of the sage EBR set up was terrible... millions of places to clean...There was no way to get the bolt out without removing the scope rail and then having to re-zero and with as bad as that leupy scope was, you def needed to confirm zero... Those of us who were not graced with living on a fob had to make our own zero range which sounds like it would be easy, but it wasn't especially when you didn't know when (blank) was going to pop-off and then your rifle wouldn't be on point.

Back to cleaning....cleaning those stupid camming roller bearing on the bolt everyday because of the fine dust that would cake up everything....if you didn't clean that sucker out everyday you were asking for a failure mid-firefight...had it happen twice but it was probably from CLP oil.....why you ask??? The M14 family is supposed to be lubed lightly in a few places with grease. The army never issued it, so yea we did our best.

My EBR would barley group 1-1.5" with m118lr on a great day... My M4 with an acog could do .75 with m855...

Many missions if I knew the terrain or village had no avenues of fire greater than 600 m, she stayed in the truck next to the M24 and I rolled with just my M4."

###

....This issue may not matter for a pampered civilian M1A, but I thought the discussion was interesting, and reinforces that some grease is required for the critical bolt roller and op rod area. Too much oil in a dusty/sandy environment like Afghanistan results in a mess. Just a random email exchange.

Registered
Pardon my ignorance as a civilian, but I find the army not having grease available pretty incredible. Wouldn鈥檛 they at least need grease for their vehicles? Seems less than ideal for that rifle to say the least.

Registered
This is based only on my personal experience but I reject the idea of "CLP'. With all the choices we have today I would never use one product to perform multiple tasks. That being said I prefer Butches Bore shine to remove copper and carbon, and Royal Purple Syn-Film for oil lubrication.

As for grease, I'm currently using Lubriplate but I'm not married to it. LRB tells me they use red high-temp grease in their rifles.

Registered
I use Royco CLP because a few years ago ARL did a head-to-head with 26 different lubricants for weapons and Royco CLP was one of top performers.

And, a gallon of it was cheap when I bought it.

As for grease - -

The reason Lubriplate 130-A and Plastilube were chosen was both are water insoluble in water and do not wash off.

Registered
Pardon my ignorance as a civilian, but I find the army not having grease available pretty incredible. Wouldn鈥檛 they at least need grease for their vehicles? Seems less than ideal for that rifle to say the least.
well it鈥檚 the Army. We got fairly new radios recently as a test bed for the regular Army, the radios being previously only used by SF. Guess what we didn鈥檛 get? Spare parts, instruction manuals, classes on how to properly use these new radios, intructions on how to set them up/fill/technical side of things. They were amazing until we needed to update them or fill them, which turns out they don鈥檛 even operate the same as every other radio we have so it kinda blew our minds. Then stuff stated to break after about 6 months and we attempted to order new parts of which Battalion said 鈥測ou have these?鈥 And then brigade said 鈥測ou have these? Where did you get them from?鈥 And then division denied the parts order because 鈥渨hile you have them and use them, the Army says you are not entitled to have this equipment so we will not support it鈥

as for grease the stuff I have experience with in the Army was MASSIVE tub of this yellow goop. Side of the can said 鈥渇or use on artillery, heavy machinery, ball joints and other general vehicle use鈥 and that stuff was was thick. Most grease is like pudding, and this was like congealed cattle blood. Put some in the grease gun becasue certain grease points on the Stryker were considered a ten-level task and that was one hell of a forearm work out to get it out of that nozzle.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts