1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gunzilla as clp
Hoppes 9 oil
Xf-7 for lube

The xf-7 just seems to provide more lubrication and stay the same viscosity through temperature changes
I've heard of XF-7 but don't know anymore about it.
I'm an old school guy from Mobil 1 and/or Lubriplate school . . was just wondering if I should upgrade to a new/better lube.
Thanks for the reply!

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have used both in both the M14 and the M1. I have never had anything but success with both lubricants. I have come to prefer Lubriplate just because it is what the military specified. I never had a jam in either rifle in cold weather with Mobil 1, but I just feel better with Lubriplate in there.
I've always used Lubriplate mostly, Mobil 1 sometimes.
Was just wondering what others out there are using . . .

·
Registered
3,253 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I will only note that around 1970 I think the US military replaced Lubriplate 130-A (yellow grease) with the Plastilube (brown grease). I assume that change was due to perhaps better performance with the Plastilube?, but I have never read an empirical study on this topic. (I'm sure one exists, as the military does a lot of testing regarding such things).

That said, I just got my SAI Supermatch back from a local retired USMC Precision Armorer who is a true master in his trade. He re-bedded this action for me, and I noted that he had removed all my brown Plastilube grease - and replaced it with a bunch of red grease. I assume this might be Mobile 1 synthetic grease, so I guess he believes strongly in this red grease...as he really slathered it on.
Wood Gas Dead bolt Auto part Machine

I think the more important thing is to not run the rifle dry...M1s and M1As need grease - not oil.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Gentlemen, there are places on the M1 and M14 rifle where grease is required. Other locations are best served by oil. For instance, it is best to not use grease on hammer hooks. Let the manual be your guide.

As for synthetic lubricants, they have definite advantages in both high and low temperatures. If you plan on engaging in fast sustained firing, synthetic lubricants are desirable. The same is true if you use your weapon in cold climates.

Keep in mind that if you get synthetic lubricants on your clothing you will likely never be able to wash it out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What ever I have on hand for cleaning solvents, usually been Hoppes Number 9. The new “Black” cleaner they have labeled for “modern sporting rifles” is pretty good, spray bottle and 10 minutes in the bore will have the patches blue. Foaming bore solvent by them is pretty good but only use that when I plan on cleaning the piston too.

for lubrication thinnest possible layer of oil I can apply to all metal. Been a fan of the Lucas oil blue stuff. Use just enough to make the Park on it dark to keep the rust away, it’s also my preferred oil for lubrication if I need an oil over grease. For grease I have a large container of Lubriplate white lithium and a tube of Rural Kings house brand high temp bearing grease. I usually just use what ever one was closer. Both work fine and exceed anything I need for lubrication on all my guns but my Black powder blasters.

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
920 Posts
RADCOLUBE CLP
Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber 2-in-1 Cleaner
Lubriplate

Reactions: RealReglarGuy

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lubriplate and lately trying Mil-Comm TW25B... I don't think my range outings are so hard on my rifle that I need to be too picky with my lube. 100 rds over 2-3 hrs is probably easy street for my M1A... It is nice to see what everyone else is using.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I think the more important thing is to not run the rifle dry...M1s and M1As need grease - not oil.
A light coat of grease is used in certain areas, oil in used every where else. For reference:

FM 23-8 - M14 and M14A1 Rifles and Rifle Marksmanship, w/ chng 2, dated 16 march 1987, Section V. Maintenance, paragraph 22.,

b. Lubricants.

(1) Lubricating oil, General Purpose (PL Special) Cleaner, Lubricant, and Preservative (CLP), is used for lubricating the rifle at normal temperatures.
(2) Lubricating Oil, Weapons (LAW) is used for low temperatures (Below 0°).
(3) OE 10 engine oil may be used as a field expedient under combat conditions when the oils prescribed in (1) and (2) above cannot be obtained. However, as soon as possible the weapon should be cleaned and lubricated with the proper, authorized lubricants.
(4) Rifle grease should be applied to those working surfaces shown in figure 40.

Font Engineering Art Drawing Motor vehicle

TM 9-1005-223-10 - Operator's Manual for Rifle, 7.62mm, M14 W/E and Rifle, 7.62mm, M14A1 W/E, Section II, Lubrication Instructions, paragraph 3.4 Specific:

c. Next apply a light coat of rifle grease to the surfaces of the following parts:

(1) Locking lugs of bolt operating lug recesses.
(2) Bolt guide
(3) Anti-friction roller on bolt.
(4) Operating rod guide groove on side of receiver.

Your bolt should not look like it was just removed from the inside of a grease filled gearbox. Contrary to popular belief, "more grease" does not equal "better lubrication."

1 - 20 of 48 Posts