M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my build completed and out to the range.
Sage NSG ALCS
LRB M25 receiver
Krieger 18" 1:10 CM bbl
NXS Compact 2.5-10x32 Velocity Reticle
CMP Parts kit
XS sights
SEI Vortex

Trying some different loads to find this rifles's preference and I have found a couple small issues with operation. I have 86 rds through it so far and have had about 5-6 light firing pin strikes resulting in no primer ignition. After inspecting the round, I re-chambered it and then every one went bang. These were all mag fed.

I also have had about 3-4 short bolt cycles that failed to eject the fired round.

Right now, I am leaning toward replacing the trigger group hammer spring and the operation rod spring was well. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
inspect the oprod for rubbing double check gas alignment
start with a tilt test first thing.

as for light primer strikes, can you tell us more about the ammo'

the light primer strike can happen when the bolt doesnt close well and that can be due to binding of the oprod.

hope its a simple fix

others will be along with better advice.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
inspect the oprod for rubbing double check gas alignment
start with a tilt test first thing.

as for light primer strikes, can you tell us more about the ammo'
The ammo is hand loads that I run in my NM rifle shooting Service Rifle. LC brass full prepped, CCI primers, 41.0 grs H4895, 168 SMKs, seated at 2.800". And some 40.0 gr IMR 4064 under 175SMKs, at 2.800". I have shot plenty of these twp loads in matches and never had an issue. It's my go-to match ammo.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
im out of my element but did you bump the shoulder back on that brass ?

maybe they didnt quite fit the first time they were chambered.

its most likely not that but it popped in my head.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Brass all gauges right on with Dillon case gauge.

Tilt test like butter, slick.

Gas cylinder vent hole lines up cleanly with a .075" drill bit slid all the way through into the barrel bore.

But, I remembered that when I had a round go "click", I could not muster the one-handed strength to pull the op rod back and clear the weapon. I pulled the trigger group, sacked up the rifle and took it to my bench where I could use a piece of teflon and two hands to power the round out of the chamber.

So, I just made a dumby round, loaded it into a mag, let the bolt strip it and chamber the round. Then again had to wrestle it out.

I also made one dumby round and did the same test with my Service Rifle match gun, it was a little tight to pull out, but I got it easily with one hand.

Take a look at these pics. See the striations on the jacket of the bullet. Is that normal?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts