M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as I just got "corrected" and by corrected I mean yelled at, and forced to educate a fellow NCO, on the regulation I thought I'd give a little helpful info here. Wear or uniform items with civilian clothes. By the reg, so long as you are not displaying name rank or service, you can wear your uniform items as civilian clothes. Here is a paraphrased explanation I was given by a very helpful Chief:

You are at the dorms, off-duty, and the WG/CC walks in. Are you out of uniform? Answer: No. Why? Because in the dorms, on your own time, you can't be out of uniform even if you are wearing civilian clothes because that's authorized.

So now we see that circumstances dictate the reality even though we all understand you don't have a uniform on.

Stay with me on this. Now you are at a directed formation in your underwear. Are you out of uniform? Answer: Yes. If you show up for formation in naught but your boots and underwear, you are a dumb-dumb and we won't be seeing you again for a while.

Now, you show up at the gas station, off-duty, in your boots and underwear. Are you out of uniform? Answer: No. Are you under arrest? Probably.

Now put on your ABU pants, boot socks, and a sand tee. Are you out of uniform? Answer: No. Are you under arrest? No. Are you tacky? Yes.

Now put on an ABU coat with no rank, service tape or name tape. Are you out of uniform? No. You're me going hunting.

Now swap coats for one with name, rank, service, and all the accouterments. Are you out of uniform? Yes, put your damn cover on dumb-dumb.

·
Banned
982 Posts
oh i am so glad i am out of the army. that is one of the things i could not handle.

6 weeks in the field, jump TOC every three days, sleeping on a track, getting kicked out of bed becuase the radio's aren't working (der........o-n-o-f-f switch in o-f-f postion...sheesh), waking up in the snow, slogging it out in the mudd was just fine with me.

it was the monday morning inspection, motorpool inspection, 10% command inventory inspection, controlled items inspection, ta-50 inspection, class A inspection, pre-inspection inspection, barracks inspection.......and on an on.

i forgot....head count.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You are at the dorms, off-duty, and the WG/CC walks in. Are you out of uniform? Answer: No. Why? Because in the dorms, on your own time, you can't be out of uniform even if you are wearing civilian clothes because that's authorized.
I can recall that from freaking Tech school.

Now put on your ABU pants, boot socks, and a sand tee. Are you out of uniform? Answer: No. Are you under arrest? No. Are you tacky? Yes.
In my day, nobody had just their pants, socks, and Tee on unless they had just pulled up into their living quarters, kicked off their boots, threw off their Blouse, and popped open a cold beer.

In fact, I can't recall anyone ever wearing any part of their uniform when off duty excepting maybe an Organizational Cover.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
That's my question what the Hell is a Dorm. When I was a company commander, a smart ass would get an Article 15. For those in the Navy and in dorms, this is in the UMCJ.

I took over a tank company from another company commander who had let the company go wild. Although it was a National Guard Company, I had come out of the Regular Army. A young stud missed formation and the National Guard allowed the concept of suspended busts. This character had a suspended bust, I vacated the bust, reducing him to E-3. I then busted him to E-2. Let's say after that no missed a unit formation again. My NCO's were elated as was my 1st Sgt.

I think even sailors would get that.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
All that 'sturm und drang' makes me think back to Viet Nam in '68-'69 when we were glad to have just one uniform at a time...

Just saying...

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, ya, this is Air Force specific. The AF likes to church it up a bit. For us the barracks are "dorms" and the mess hall is a "dining facility" or DFAC. I'm not saying anyone should be bouncing around off duty in half their uniform, but its in the regs that you CAN. I'm maintenance and my job is rough on uniforms so I have a footlocker full of unserviceable boots, pants, etc. Not to let perfectly good work clothes go to waste, I'll wear some old boots and torn up, sealant covered ABU pants while I'm working on my car, or when we go shooting, hunting, camping, whatever so I don't tear up my jeans. Well some joker with an outdated 36-2903 tried to hem me up about it and I had to realign his perspective. Just thought I'd make a few fellow airmen aware of what they're allowed to do.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ok...It's been a few years since I cracked the 2903 so it may no longer apply but seeing this I was wondering what your take would be.

You take your blouse off at work or if you are on some sort of detail...are you still in uniform?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Haha, ya, this is Air Force specific. The AF likes to church it up a bit. For us the barracks are "dorms" and the mess hall is a "dining facility" or DFAC.
True, the AF has some of it's own terminology, some of it decidedly unmilitary. Although, personally, i always called the dorms the barracks, a hat a cover, a shirt a blouse, and being back at home station, "in garrison". Probably because for awhile the only Airman i was around was those from my own squadron, and we spent most of our time away from the rest of the Air Force.

Oh and "Dining Facity" is bland. Get creative. Try, "Aerospace Dining Facility" or the "Chow Hall", or "The Choke and Puke", or "The Scarf and Barf". I'm of the firm beief that the Air Force having the best Chow Halls is a urban legend. I've eaten at some Army mess halls, and it was better then ours. I **** you not, ive eaten steak and scallops at an army chow hall. They at least had variety, instead of some variation of chicken, every freaking day for lunch and dinner. Although rumors about AF chow halls being good have some crediblity when it comes to breakfast. That ill say is true.

You take your blouse off at work or if you are on some sort of detail...are you still in uniform?
You'd think so. In my day it was. Hell, unless it was cold, i almost never wore my blouse while on the job site.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It was pretty simple in my time. Once you put your uniform on and left your place of residence (whatever it may have been) you are on duty and representing your country. The only time you could mix dress was in your place of residence (dorm, house, PMQ) and when off duty. You were also able to mix when riding a motorcycle (leather jacket and helmet). But we all know the old roles, everything is legal as long as you don’t get caught.
The funny thing was, when I was still in. I would never wear my combats off duty. I was more than happy to get into my civies!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Chow halls

I know this is only my opinion, but while serving in a detachment at Aberdeen proving grounds, Maryland, I was subjectrd to what I would have considered a "choke and puke" chow hall. The grub was absolutely rancid. My grandfathers left over K rations were better. But I must admit that at that time the NCO club was really great. As for me I would rather pay at my various bases for NCO club food rather than take advantage of the free chow halls. Keesler AFB MS. was about the only exception.

·
Registered
762 Posts
. Keesler AFB MS. was about the only exception.
I was stationed there as my first assignment out of tech school, and I hated it there. Amongst my peers we called it "The Black Hole of the Air Force". Because it sucked you in, and very few could escape it. I threw my dream sheet into the winds and volunteered for world wide remote to get out of that ratbastard of a base. Keesler AFB is a number of things. It's a toy base. It's a retiree base. Its a General's showcase base, but if your a young Airman who wants to do things to be proud of later, it is a very ****ty assignment. Just my opinion. I'm totally not bitter when I hear the word, "Keesler". Honest. LOL

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was stationed there as my first assignment out of tech school, and I hated it there. Amongst my peers we called it "The Black Hole of the Air Force". Because it sucked you in, and very few could escape it. I threw my dream sheet into the winds and volunteered for world wide remote to get out of that ratbastard of a base. Keesler AFB is a number of things. It's a toy base. It's a retiree base. Its a General's showcase base, but if your a young Airman who wants to do things to be proud of later, it is a very ****ty assignment. Just my opinion. I'm totally not bitter when I hear the word, "Keesler". Honest. LOL
I absolutley agree with you on every single point! That is amazing that someone can point out every thing I noticed as well. Great call! By the way, what was your assignment? I would to love to know.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I absolutley agree with you on every single point! That is amazing that someone can point out every thing I noticed as well. Great call! By the way, what was your assignment? I would to love to know.
I take it your stationed there now? If so, and your agreeing with me, then it sounds like things haven't changed much over there. My ticket out of that rat hole came around 93/94 when we thought we were going to go to war with North Korea. It started a massive buildup on the Korean Penninsula, and I ended up being a part of that build up as a member of the 554th RED HORSE. I do recall there being a lot of doom and gloom going around the CE and SP barracks on Keesler. BTW, putting CE and SP's together under one roof is a very bad idea. (I was in the 81st CES when on Keesler. )

If your stuck there and serious about getting out, just volunteer for world wide remote. It worked for me at any rate. You'd most likely end up with a remote short tour with 365 days and a wake up, but you should have your choice of assignment going back to CONUS and Keesler will become a distant memory.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I take it your stationed there now? If so, and your agreeing with me, then it sounds like things haven't changed much over there. My ticket out of that rat hole came around 93/94 when we thought we were going to go to war with North Korea. It started a massive buildup on the Korean Penninsula, and I ended up being a part of that build up as a member of the 554th RED HORSE. I do recall there being a lot of doom and gloom going around the CE and SP barracks on Keesler. BTW, putting CE and SP's together under one roof is a very bad idea. (I was in the 81st CES when on Keesler. )

If your stuck there and serious about getting out, just volunteer for world wide remote. It worked for me at any rate. You'd most likely end up with a remote short tour with 365 days and a wake up, but you should have your choice of assignment going back to CONUS and Keesler will become a distant memory.
I have been away from Keesler since '93. I served with Tac/7ACCS. Iwas hurt and have been out and disabled shortly thereafter. That was my first duty as well. What a small forum. Sorry I sccrewed up my username(idiot!).
Ben

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's been a few years since my medical retirement but I don't think 36-2903 (35-10 for the real old farts like myself) changed the uniform combinations that would be considered "out of uniform". Just wearing the pants off duty is fine, but pants + boots + duty t-shirt is considered OoU. Pants + blouse (no tapes) could be OoU at the discretion of the Commander. Pants + boots should be fine as well as sterile blouse + boots or pants + boots. The big catch is the Commander's discretion as that person is authorized to modify the instruction for local requirements or conditions.

I put up with the AF BS for over 17 years and I learned pretty quick that it's best to try and not fight the system over small **** because of principle and save those fights for things that actually matter.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
36-2903 got a big revamp a couple years ago. But I definitely identify with the Keesler situation. Luke is another black hole base. The only way you can get out of here is Korea. We just had a guy PCS out of here who had been here for 13 years and this was his first assignment. I do plan on staying here for a while, though. I enjoy being stationed in a free state (AZ).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seeing as I just got "corrected" and by corrected I mean yelled at, and forced to educate a fellow NCO, on the regulation I thought I'd give a little helpful info here. Wear or uniform items with civilian clothes. By the reg, so long as you are not displaying name rank or service, you can wear your uniform items as civilian clothes. Here is a paraphrased explanation I was given by a very helpful Chief:

So now we see that circumstances dictate the reality even though we all understand you don't have a uniform on.

Stay with me on this. Now you are at a directed formation in your underwear. Are you out of uniform? Answer: Yes. If you show up for formation in naught but your boots and underwear, you are a dumb-dumb and we won't be seeing you again for a while.

Now, you show up at the gas station, off-duty, in your boots and underwear. Are you out of uniform? Answer: No. Are you under arrest? Probably.

Now put on an ABU coat with no rank, service tape or name tape. Are you out of uniform? No. You're me going hunting.

Now swap coats for one with name, rank, service, and all the accouterments. Are you out of uniform? Yes, put your damn cover on dumb-dumb.
This post is very old. But can anyone help me out? Going to the gas station the other day I walked in and someone walked in behind me. He was in full ACU's but wasn't wearing a PC or the ACU top. Is it authorized to wear everything expect the ACU top of the uniform? I didn't want to say anything without knowing first

1 - 20 of 30 Posts