M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always taught that it was never advisable to mix parts of weapons with others of the same type model series. I have recently entered into a discussion with a younger co-worker who has informed me that I am essentially out of my mind and that is not the case as it does not matter anymore.

He tells me that many law enforcement groups specifically do drills where you field strip the pistol and throw all the parts in a tub then have to reassemble and fire the weapon.

In addition, I thought that handguns had serial numbers on the lower and upper as well as the barrel.

Is this just a case of old information not keeping up with the times?

Not that there is any real practical need for me to do this but I see newer models like the CZ P-01 being touted as the best thing since sliced bread and one of the reasons is interchangeability of parts from one weapon to another in the field. I thought that was a pretty big deal. Is it or am I just getting old?

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I wouldn't want to swap parts on a pistol once I knew it functioned well. Swapping out parts randomly would lower my confidence in the particular firearm. You go from knowing what you have to no idea concerning maintenance and extent of usage.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think it really depends on what your aim is.

If you're looking to assemble an especially accurate and reliable firearm, you hand select the parts which go together best.

That being said, if you're looking to do a field repair for example, you should be able to mix and match parts from the same model and have it function - that's the primary point of interchangability.

How well it functions and its accuracy may degrade with a random assortment of parts, but with a well made pistol model it should still operate.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Minor fitting could be required for best performance. I have multiple Hi Powers knowing that if one fails its parts for the others.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about serial numbers?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts