M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a MISO lens for my match prepped M1 Garand. The product was well packed and the contents matched the descriptions on line. The printed instructions are clear and simple but there are on-line videos too if needed.

Installation hit a snag right away when it became evident that the plastic retaining ring was too small for my hood. The ring did fit correctly in my M1A and in another spare hood, so I can only assume the ID of my hood is oversized. Apparently in the early versions of the MISO an "O" ring was used instead of the plastic ring so I went to the hardware store and picked up a #78 O ring. This still had to be modified by using a dremmel tool to reduce the OD a little, but in the end it works perfect. Off to the range for 200 yard testing.

My Garand hood is .0595 and my M1A is .0520 so I took both for comparison of sight picture. In both cases I have glasses that correct my distance vision. Thankfully it was a perfect day for this test because of bright sun and broken heavy clouds passing quickly allowing me to see in high and low light conditions just minutes apart. In bright light the MISO sight picture was on par with the .0520 but I could hold focus longer with the MISO (seemingly less eye strain). In low light, the MISO was noticeably easier to get and hold the sight picture.

The MISO is no miracale device that puts the post and target in "perfect" focus but when combined with corrected distance I can hold focus on the post better and the bull is still sharper than without the lens. Fuzzy but sharper. Hope that makes sense.

During shooting I did notice a little glare from direct sun over my right shoulder but proper hat placement fixed that. Otherwise you don't even notice that the lens is there while shooting. I do note that my zero moved up 1/2 MOA, probably a result of the improved sight picture.

Last night I swapped sights for a .0520 and put the MISO in that. I think that sould really be an improvement. Experimenting with even smaller or rectangular aperatures may find further improvement. I'll report back on the 520.

Reactions: Armour

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
I used a .0520 rear sight with the MISO on a couple of my rifles years ago and found they did the job pretty well.
Since then I dumped the MISO and have found that, for me, a .040 rear sight similar size opening to what I had been using for many years on my 03 with Lyman sight made all clear and much improved my targeting ability with iron sights. Still prefer the use of optics for this old bird.
A quick chat with Art from Shooting Sight is recommended for anyone with questions about rifle sights. He knows his apple from his oranges. Rare today with all the google boy experts that have come on scene.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I was using corrective glasses for a while and I tried the MISO a few years back. The MISO brought the front sight into a closer focus, but I found the Bull was in sharp focus. I kept finding myself looking at the Bull instead of the FS, a term some call "Bull-gazing". The target Bull was distracting me and required a lot of concentration to pay more attention in the FS. I eventually switched to the Bob Jones inserts in both M14 and AR15 instead.

I also recommend contacting Art at Shootingsight. His "Cat-eye" rear aperture is a great product that helps reduce the front sight blur like a smaller aperture while allowing more light and less "cobwebs" than an equally smaller aperture usually does.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Made it back to the range again today with the .0520 hood and MISO lens. Heavy overcast giving low flat light conditions. Any smaller aperture would have been a problem, but still had a crisp post and god target visibility. All said, the lens is giving a better sight picture at 200. Unfortunately I won't have the chance to test at 600 until next Feb.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Bought a MISO lens for my match prepped M1 Garand. The product was well packed and the contents matched the descriptions on line. The printed instructions are clear and simple but there are on-line videos too if needed.

Installation hit a snag right away when it became evident that the plastic retaining ring was too small for my hood. The ring did fit correctly in my M1A and in another spare hood, so I can only assume the ID of my hood is oversized. Apparently in the early versions of the MISO an "O" ring was used instead of the plastic ring so I went to the hardware store and picked up a #78 O ring. This still had to be modified by using a dremmel tool to reduce the OD a little, but in the end it works perfect. Off to the range for 200 yard testing.

My Garand hood is .0595 and my M1A is .0520 so I took both for comparison of sight picture. In both cases I have glasses that correct my distance vision. Thankfully it was a perfect day for this test because of bright sun and broken heavy clouds passing quickly allowing me to see in high and low light conditions just minutes apart. In bright light the MISO sight picture was on par with the .0520 but I could hold focus longer with the MISO (seemingly less eye strain). In low light, the MISO was noticeably easier to get and hold the sight picture.

The MISO is no miracale device that puts the post and target in "perfect" focus but when combined with corrected distance I can hold focus on the post better and the bull is still sharper than without the lens. Fuzzy but sharper. Hope that makes sense.

During shooting I did notice a little glare from direct sun over my right shoulder but proper hat placement fixed that. Otherwise you don't even notice that the lens is there while shooting. I do note that my zero moved up 1/2 MOA, probably a result of the improved sight picture.

Last night I swapped sights for a .0520 and put the MISO in that. I think that sould really be an improvement. Experimenting with even smaller or rectangular aperatures may find further improvement. I'll report back on the 520.
I got a hooded reduced .420 with lens from Art over at SS, and playing around with it I'm really liking it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a hooded reduced .420 with lens from Art over at SS, and playing around with it I'm really liking it.
That's about the size in my AR and it works well for me on all but the darkest days (heavy overcast/rain). I'd really like to try the rectangular set up too. Keep me posted on the 420 M1/M14 setup, especially in mid range stuff...I may follow your lead.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
That's about the size in my AR and it works well for me on all but the darkest days (heavy overcast/rain). I'd really like to try the rectangular set up too. Keep me posted on the 420 M1/M14 setup, especially in mid range stuff...I may follow your lead.
I've had it for some time, I did have too sacrifice a worn out hooded NM leaf for the install it was loose and sloppy anyway so no loss. You will need too salvage the two tiny springs from the hood. I had the small balls, E-clip and assembly tool from Art's NM rebuild kit. Install was slick and smooth maybe a total of 2 mins time, what was once unusable is now ready for action again everything is nice and tight. The actual rack fit my NM/2A base with minimal fitting, zero L/R play and the new spring cover takes care of anything up and down.

When the new rifle gets put together, I will give Art and you the heads up as well as a range report.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Anyone else recently get a Miso lense?
Id like to hear anymore feedback on them before I drop $90+.
Thanks
Been using one for two years on my M1 and M1A, before the miso I was a 170’s shooter at 600, now I’m a mid to high 180’s shooter, only thing I changed. I’m a high 190’s shooter with a scoped AR and with the miso in my AR only a few points of, mid 190’s. They work for some. Better if you had someone you could check theirs and see if it worked for you. I’m in Mid Ohio and have 4 of them ( 1 M1, 2 M14, 1 AR), anyone else closer?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts