M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lawmaker demands investigation, immediate reform at Albuquerque VA Hospital

Read more: http://www.koat.com/news/minute-by-minute-how-the-fatal-va-ambulance-debacle-played-out/26789874#ixzz36d7rKrMY

Minute by minute: Fatal ABQ VA ambulance debacle
Show Transcript Hide Transcript
AND CAN TAKE PICTURES SAFELY SEND THEM IN TO OUR LOCAL SECTION AT KOAT.COM. A VETERAN HAS A HEART ATTACK 500 YARDS FROM THE V.A. HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM IN ALBUQUERQUE. IT TAKES FOUR MINUTES TO WALK THERE BUT INSTEAD HE HAD TO WAIT MORE THAN 10 MINUTES TO GET A -- BUT HE HAD TO WAIT MORE THAN 10 MINUTES TO GET AN AMBULANCE. Reporter: THIS IS SKY 7 VIDEO OF THE VETERAN AFFAIRS HOSPITAL CAMPUS. HERE THE HOSPITAL. NEAR THE HOSPITAL IS THE CAFETERIA THAT FEEDS PATIENTS AND STAFF. THAT'S WHERE A 71-YEAR-OLD ALBUQUERQUE VETERAN SUFFERED A HEART ATTACK ON MONDAY. HE WAS SURROUNDED BY MEDICAL STAFF. THEY GAVE HIM C.P.R. BUT THAT WAS AS FAR AS THEY COULD HELP. THEY COULDN'T CARRY HIM THE 500 YARDS TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM BECAUSE IT WOULD VIOLATE V.A. POLICY. THAT POLICY SAYS PERSONNEL MUST CALL 9-1-1 WHEN A MEDICAL EMERGENCY HAPPENS OUTSIDE OF THE MAIN BUILDING. SO INSTEAD OF GETTING IMMEDIATE HELP WITH THE LATEST MEDICAL EQUIPMENT, HE HAD TO WAIT FOR AN AMBULANCE TO DRIVE HIM TO GET HELP. HERE'S A TIMELINE OF HOW THE EVENTS PLAYED OUT. THE VETERAN COLLAPSED AT 12:19 IN THE AFTERNOON. THE ALBUQUERQUE FIRE DEPARTMENT DISPATCHED A RESCUE UNIT AT 12:26, THAT UNIT ARRIVED AT THE V.A. HOSPITAL SEVEN MINUTES LATER AT 12:33. ALBUQUERQUE AMBULANCE PULLED UP THREE MINUTES LATER AT 12:36. PARAMED 46 THAT UNIT GOT TO THE VETERAN AT 12:39. FROM THE TIME HE COLLAPSED TO THE TIME MEDICS ARRIVED ON SCENE, NEARLY 14 MINUTES PASSED. WE DON'T KNOW HOW LONG IT TOOK FOR THE AMBULANCE TO GET THE VETERAN TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM. THE VETERAN DID NOT RECOVER AND DIED THAT DAY. WITHIN HOURS OF MY CALL TO THE V.A. HOSPITAL SEEKING INFORMATION, THE V.A. SENT THIS E-MAIL TO THE NEW MEXICO CONGRESSIONAL DELEGATION TELLING THEM THAT THE VETERAN HAD DIED AND THAT THEIR V.A. WAS REVIEWING ITS POLICY. BUT U.S. REPRESENTATIVE MICHELLE WANTS TO KNOW WHY AFTER TWO DAYS HER OFFICE STILL HAS NO NEW INFORMATION. IN A STATEMENT RELEASED TODAY, SHE SAYS THE INABILITY OF OFFICIALS TO ANSWER BASIC QUESTIONS IN A TIMELY FASHION IS YET ANOTHER REASON THE PUBLIC HAS LOST FAITH IN ALBUQUERQUE. KOAT ACTION 7 NEWS. ALSO DEMANDING A FULL OUTSIDE INVESTIGATION.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. —A veteran in one building of the Veteran Affair’s hospital in Albuquerque died this week after having to wait for an ambulance to take him to a building next door.
Related

A 71-year-old Albuquerque veteran suffered a heart attack on Monday. He was surrounded by medical staff. They gave him CPR but could not do anything past that.
That’s because VA policy states that any time a medical emergency occurs outside of the main hospital building, staff are required to call 911. The veteran had to wait for an ambulance to drive him to get help in the emergency room.
Here’s a timeline of how the events played out:
12:19 p.m. – The veteran collapsed in the cafeteria.
12:26 p.m. – Albuquerque Fire dispatched a rescue unit.
12:33 p.m. – The rescue unit arrives at the VA hospital.
12:36 p.m. – Albuquerque Ambulance pulled up.
12:39 p.m. – Paramedics from the ABQ Ambulance made contact with the veteran.
From the time he collapsed, to the time medics arrived on scene, nearly 14 minutes passed. Action 7 News cannot confirm how long it took the ambulance to get to the emergency room. The veteran did not recover and died that day.
Within hours of the start of our Target 7 investigation, the VA hospital sent an email to New Mexico’s congressional delegation letting them know that a veteran died and the VA was reviewing its policy.
But U.S. Rep. Michelle Lujan Grisham wants to know why after two days, her office still has no new information.
Below is Lujan Grisham’s statement:
“This incident is troubling and I am very concerned about the fact that a veteran died while waiting to receive care. While we don’t yet know all of the facts, we have worked for two days to try to get details from the VA about whether its policy may have contributed to the delay in care. In any case, the inability of officials to answer basic questions in a timely fashion is yet another reason the public has lost faith, and why we are demanding an outside investigation and immediate reform at the Albuquerque VA.”

This happen to my wife's friend, she is very upset that her husband death could have been different if someone could have just taken him next store instead of waiting so long for an ambulance to show up...

DIEVIL

·
Registered
796 Posts
Just abysmal. I never served but if there's one group this country owes something to its our veterans. Whether you were drafted or volunteered it doesn't matter. It just astounds me at the money this government pisses away on all kinds of freeloaders but we don't have the money allocated for and can't run well a VA system.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's a stupid policy but it's not exclusive to the VA. I work for a large healthcare system and we have the same liability driven policy.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
It's a stupid policy but it's not exclusive to the VA. I work for a large healthcare system and we have the same liability driven policy.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
This.

Just about every healthcare network I've dealt with has had a similar policy. Not saying it's right, but it's how it works.

·
Eye Master
3,866 Posts
The policy makes sense.

In any emergency, you need a plan that people know, so they react and do something in unison, rather than running around like a bunch of headless chickens with no purpose.

If you want something other that 'call 911', you need to develop a whole boatload of emergency plans, dealing with all sorts of different contingencies and scenarios, plus have a training plan in place to make sure people know what all the different plans are, plus an evaluation and certification program to be sure people know them, plus an annual re-qualification program. Net, any policy other than 'call 911' would be a fuster cluck to administer, and the VA are already having difficulties administering base care.

Sucks for this guy, but the VA did nothing wrong. If someone had been a leader, instead of a sheep, they might have violated policy and acted based on the expediency of the situation, but it isn't the VA's fault they didn't.

What this really is, is the a$$hole press who are all down on the VA (and rightly so), and they are trying to create sensational coverage that will sell papers.

·
Registered
634 Posts
This.

Just about every healthcare network I've dealt with has had a similar policy. Not saying it's right, but it's how it works.
You'd be amazed how frequently this occurs, and not only at VA facilities. The VA is just under a microscope lately because of all the other F/U's going on there.

I was leaving work one day about 15 years ago (I am an O.R. RN), and just as I walked through the front door, I heard yells for help out on the street. I dashed out to see an old man lying in the street just off the sidewalk on the far side of the street from the hospital entrance. He'd been walking along the sidewalk, when a car jumped one of those concrete curbstones in the parking lot that was next to the sidewalk, and ran over him. I ran down and rendered what first aid I could, the guy was conscious, but had obvious internal injuries and needed immediate advanced care.

Now, the Emergency Room entrance was another 50 feet down the street, and the E.R doors were about 20 feet off the street. Someone could literally have rolled a gurney from the ER in about 30 seconds, but since the guy was lying in a public street, he was off hospital property and the EMS had to be called (nearest EMS base is a mile from the hospital at a fire station).

Long story short, it took more than 20 minutes to get him in the ER for treatment, by which time he'd bled internally to the point that even after rushing him from the ER to the OR, he didn't survive.

The American healthcare system in action.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Sucks for this guy, but the VA did nothing wrong. If someone had been a leader, instead of a sheep, they might have violated policy and acted based on the expediency of the situation, but it isn't the VA's fault they didn't.
Bingo. Have a spine and use common sense; break the g*d#*mn rule.

Even if it is normal policy for healthcare as a whole, I paused at your "it isn't the VA's fault they didn't [violate policy]." They created one hell of a culture there - and not a good one. They seemed to attract and reward the sheep for being, well, sheep. That doesn't lend itself to individual, rational thought and critical thinking - let alone the courage to act on said rational thought and critical thinking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts