M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently waiting for an M1 Receiver to come in from CMP so that I can send it to Shuff's to have a Mini-G built.

I am contemplating buying a BM59E muzzle brake to add to the Mini-G.

My questions are:

Is the BM59E muzzle brake an effective and worthwhile addition to the Mini-G?

and,

Can the BM59E muzzle brake be added after the fact (without fitting or modifications to the rifle)? If so, I can buy it later if I feel the need for it.

Thanks

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a tanker Garand, and bought a Beretta Tri-Compensator to help with muzzle rise and recoil. It works OK, and can be installed/removed just like a gas cylinder lock. But it adds 5.5 inches of length back on to the rifle that I just expended all that effort shortening it by 6 inches. So, it kind of defeats the purpose.

·
Banned
654 Posts
I would call Mr. Shuff and ask him directly, after all, he is the master.

I'm planning to have him work his magic on my Garand, just havent received it from the CMP yet.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I use a Smith Enterprise brake and a Schuster gas plug on my tanker. This combo works great.

I bought the brake about 15 years ago. I would not buy that one now out of principle.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Mini G comes with a Schuster gas plug adjusted so that it will run the mil surp ammo without hurting the op rod. If you're OK with the recoil from a full size Garand, you don't "need" it, but the added recoil reduction, if any, can't hurt. It certainly can be added later. Make sure to get the right brake for your application. If you have Tim do your conversion using the Beretta type, drop down gas cylinder, which makes mounting the Ultmak railed hand guard easier, then you need the BM59 drop down type brake. If you have him do your conversion using the standard Garand gas cylinder, then the BM59E brake is the one to use. I've got one of his conversions and love it.

·
Super Moderator
926 Posts
On the front page of Shuff's site, he has a cool looking mag fed Garand with a Bm59 brake on it. It does look nice and he says that everyone asks about making one look "just like it". I agree that it defeats the purpose. I'd get a SEI brake and keep it short and sweet.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Another option for a MB on the Mini-G or a Tanker is Schuster's MB.

Schuster's is a bit shorter & less bulky than the SEI brake, which I got back in the '90s and used for years til I saw Schuster's for sale at Camp Perry during the Matches. Both MBs attach the same way & function the same, but I felt Schuster's fit the profile of my Tanker better. Just another option. Haven't tried their plug yet; probably should, as all I shoot thru mine is 7.62 mil-surp ball.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Question for the Mini-G owners ...

Do most who get Schuff's conversion retain the original 30.06 chambering, or do they go with the option of having a .308 chambering? (using either a customer-supplied barrel or the Criterion tube that Schuff's advertises.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I went with the Shuff provided .308 barrel and Smith brake:
Coulter6: your Smith brake doesn't look like the one I have. Mine must be an early version. It's not as large and the holes are set up differently, IIRC. I got it back in the mid '90s on Commercial Row @ Camp Perry during the Matches. Maybe SEI redesigned them at some point.

Then this past July, when I was @ Perry for the Matches, one of the CR vendors was selling Schuster's brake for Garands. I liked the slimmer design and it was nicely finished, so I took a chance and bought it. It does fit my Tanker's profile better, instead of looking like a piece of ungainly black steel hanging off the muzzle. (See pic in my post above).

I still have the old Smith brake & thought that if I ever have a Mini-G conversion done, I'd use that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts