M14 Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My stock arrived today from Accuracy Systems. I wasn't aware it was a Revolution stock. It is solid walnut and a very tight fit. It took all of ten minutes to swap it out with the painted stock from Ruger. It looks really nice. I'll post some images of the big and little brothers in the next day or two.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Para Pete,

I have heard with the 300BLK ( subsonic ) that effective range for hunting with the heavy bullets is < 150yds. I think most folks use the light supersonic bullets for hunting. Do you agree?

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
592 Posts
I wouldn't be comfortable using any subsonic .300 BLK round as a reliably humane hunting load for anything farther than a 10 yard head shot- but that's just me (haven't hunted for decades). For quietly dispatching two-legged predators, though- something like the Lehigh 194gr Maximum Expansion round should be quite effective at its job.

Both light and medium weight supersonic loadings in .300 BLK, however, have proven themselves to be very effective as hunting rounds within their intended ranges- performing ballistically similar to .30-30 Win (which has arguably put more meat on American dinner tables than any round in history).

Reactions: luigi

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Para Pete,

I have heard with the 300BLK ( subsonic ) that effective range for hunting with the heavy bullets is < 150yds. I think most folks use the light supersonic bullets for hunting. Do you agree?
Game warden friend uses 300blk for Deer exclusively up to 100 yards ( with our vegetation that's as far a shot as you'll have) and he's never had to take a second kill shot yet

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wouldn't be comfortable using any subsonic .300 BLK round as a reliably humane hunting load for anything farther than a 10 yard head shot- but that's just me (haven't hunted for decades). For quietly dispatching two-legged predators, though- something like the Lehigh 194gr Maximum Expansion round should be quite effective at its job.

Both light and medium weight supersonic loadings in .300 BLK, however, have proven themselves to be very effective as hunting rounds within their intended ranges- performing ballistically similar to .30-30 Win (which has arguably put more meat on American dinner tables than any round in history).
I have used 300 blackout sub-sonic rounds for hunting out to 100yds it willdefinatly kill deer with the right load .I was using 220 grain out law state bullets but since have switched to 190 grain hornady . for the record 100 yards has been my max due to vegetation and terrain . Normally my shooting involve's 35-75 yds max.I have yet to have one run farther than 40 yds .

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
No problems with Mini-14's or Mini-30's. They work and they are fun to shoot. What makes them even better is pairing them with the Ruger American Ranch Bolt Action rifles in 5.56 and 7.62X39. The 7.62X39 bolt gun uses the Mini-30 magazines and the 5.56 bolt gun can be had that uses AR-15 magazines. Both of those rifles are lightweight like the Mini series, but are very accurate. Both will shoot steel cased ammo just fine.

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
592 Posts
No problems with Mini-14's or Mini-30's. They work and they are fun to shoot. What makes them even better is pairing them with the Ruger American Ranch Bolt Action rifles in 5.56 and 7.62X39. The 7.62X39 bolt gun uses the Mini-30 magazines and the 5.56 bolt gun can be had that uses AR-15 magazines. Both of those rifles are lightweight like the Mini series, but are very accurate. Both will shoot steel cased ammo just fine.
The Ruger American Ranch AR Mag Bolt Action rifles are incredibly light, handy, robust and accurate (as well as being stone axe reliable). That's why I've got one in 7.62×35 that shares mags with the AR's, and it's pellet gun quiet with a muffler.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yup! Great design with some common sense improvements over what the M14 offers. Mine is a newer 2017ish mfg bought for 650$, which I think is what these should cost. Mine shoots around 2 MOA with most loads but has thrown some smaller groups before. I do wish I got my hands on the 7.62x39 one years ago instead of 556.
Wood Tool Shotgun Musical instrument accessory Metal

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
592 Posts
The Mini-14 is literally a "shrunk down" Garand action with an M14 trigger group and magazine and an M1 Carbine gas system- it's a mashup of tried, true, and proven classic American weapon systems.

Reactions: Kmc1911

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,422 Posts
Here's my 184 series, I cut the barrel to 16 1/2" and put a Choate flash hider on it, I also fit a cut down M14 hand guard, I bought it used for $250 from a Nevada Prison guard that only bought because that's what they used and he wanted to be able to qualify the first time with it but did not want it in his house. It has always been 100% reliable and pretty accurate, I used to be able to hit baby food jars at 75yds with it, I cant even see them now.

eQ
Door Wood Gun accessory Engineering Fixture

41 - 52 of 52 Posts