M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
592 Posts
I refrained from purchasing a Mini-14 until Ruger saw fit to offer one in a proper American .308 caliber- 7.62×35. With a couple of tweaks I turned it into what it truly was intended to be- a M(ini)-14.

I absolutely LOVE this rifle (and its big brother)...

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
592 Posts
Hello,
ParaPete, you sure about the caliber 7.62x35?. (could have been a slip of finger)
I though they offered the Mini-30 in 7.62x39(east block caliber). Enlighten me, please.
While originally chambered in .223 Rem (and .222 Rem and 5.56) the only "7.62" Mini was the Mini 30 (7.62×39 Soviet). For me, only a real American .308 caliber is proper in a "Mini"-14, so I waited until Ruger offered one in 7.62×35 (.300 BLK). There was also one offered in 6.8 SPC.

In my opinion- a Mini-14 in 7.62×35 truly is a carbine version of an M-14.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Oh, one of those...Funny looking round.
I was wondering why the magazine was straight and not curved...
Thanks Luigi for the backup on the info.
What's the max. weight for the 300BO bullet, not much powder capacity there. It's not a caliber I've had any interest in. Yet, it seem to be popular these days...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have reloaded some 230gn HPBT for my son in his suppressed rifle ( for subsonic velocity ). Used H110 powder and you are correct.....not much room for powder.

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
592 Posts
Oh, one of those...Funny looking round.
I was wondering why the magazine was straight and not curved...
Thanks Luigi for the backup on the info.
What's the max. weight for the 300BO bullet, not much powder capacity there. It's not a caliber I've had any interest in. Yet, it seem to be popular these days...
7.62×35 is what you get when you combine a 7.62×51 with a 5.56×45 for use in a 5.56 platform- it's literally a 7.62 bullet crammed into a 5.56 case.

I purchased the straight mag specifically for the M-14 look (they're aftermarket and have limited availability).

I have heard of up to 265 grain bullets for .300 BLK. It doesn't have any excess room for powder in there- but enough to get heavy metal lumbering downrange at subsonic speeds. And those pills will whomp a target pretty good. .300 BLK utilizes pistol powders due to the limited case capacity, but it works just fine.

.300 BLK was designed to allow heavy bullets to be launched quietly from 5.56 platforms with only a barrel change, but in supersonic loadings it hits a lot harder than 5.56- the only thing it gives up is range.

For me, 7.62×35 does everything I want a "carbine"-size rifle to do... and it does it extremely well. If I need to reach out and touch something 200 yards and beyond- that's what the 7.62×51 is for. I ain't got no use for 5.56/.223- so I don't even own one.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Why would I want to do that? It dumps most of the brass 4 feet right rear in a small circle. It's smooth and 100% reliable now.
If it does that, someone has already worked on it. Every Mini I've ever seen the brass lands 25-30 yards away and hopefully no one is parked near there because they'll have broken glass.......

I would love to trade a tuned Mini for a Blackout Mini but I have a couple Modern Sporting Rifles already set up perfectly in that caliber

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If it does that, someone has already worked on it. Every Mini I've ever seen the brass lands 25-30 yards away and hopefully no one is parked near there because they'll have broken glass.......

I would love to trade a tuned Mini for a Blackout Mini but I have a couple Modern Sporting Rifles already set up perfectly in that caliber
I can account for the entire life of the rifle and it hasn't been worked on. It just always has been a super sweet shooter. This is the only mini I have ever owned and always wondered why so many disparage or down right hate Mini-14's. Maybe I got the 1 in a million perfect rifle. It absolutely loves the Norinco 55 gr ball over any other round I shoot through it.

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
592 Posts
Reactions: smleenfield

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I can account for the entire life of the rifle and it hasn't been worked on. It just always has been a super sweet shooter. This is the only mini I have ever owned and always wondered why so many disparage or down right hate Mini-14's. Maybe I got the 1 in a million perfect rifle. It absolutely loves the Norinco 55 gr ball over any other round I shoot through it.
Agreed, you must have the one of a few because every gun person I know has had at least one if not 10 and not a one has done with the brass what yours does.

You're a lucky person

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’ve had a bunch of Mini’s.

For a bunch of years they seemed to just come and go but these here are the ones that I’ve kept:

183 series with wood handguard

197 series Mini 30 Ranch Rifle I dropped in a Hogue OD stock

583 Series Stainless Mini 30 Tactical

191 Series AC556

Every single Mini I’ve ever owned has been 100% reliable, accurate enough for range work/plinking and a whole lot of fun to shoot.

Kinda wished I would have kept them all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Got a SS Mini soon after they came out in '74, years before AR's flooded the market. Factory sights left something to be desired, just took some getting used to. Hate to say it, but don't shoot it much any more, I'm better with an AR.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Got a SS Mini soon after they came out in '74, years before AR's flooded the market. Factory sights left something to be desired, just took some getting used to. Hate to say it, but don't shoot it much any more, I'm better with an AR.
I didn't either until one of the previous threads got me fired up and did a full spring and jet tune along with a trigger job on both

White Black Trigger Tool Wood

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Machine gun

21 - 40 of 52 Posts