M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a tactical version with the painted stock and have a new walnut stock arriving this week. I’m happy to send the painted stock to anyone who wants it at their expense… assuming the new stock fits. At my age I’m buying some new toys…even though I still work 50 to 60 hours a week. The new rifles include a Browning.22 semi automatic like the one I had as a kid, the Bula M14 and the Mini 14. A Daniel Defense Delta 5 is probably next.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hello, Old John
If you are going to be buying a new Browning SA-22(made by Miroku in Japan), you should check out the early sweet one in the BX being sold by talk2me7.62, for about 1k. It's clean and was made in Belgium, I said it was early...even comes with a scope and factory mount(you can sell that to me).[insert: smile face]
You have a few post to hit 50 for PX and BX privileges, get typing. Or, look up the member and PM him. I'm sure you guys can work out a deal...
They are fun little take down rifles, I just bought one made in 1988 (Miroku, Japan).

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I have a 180 series from 1975. Not much can be done with them in the way of easy updates but it does the job it was designed for and is a real tack driver. I don't remember ever having a jam or failure to fire.
Change the gas jets and springs. It's a whole different gun after that. A little bit of work with some stones, and you've really got something. All the parts you need are here Accuracy Systems

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello, Old John
If you are going to be buying a new Browning SA-22(made by Miroku in Japan), you should check out the early sweet one in the BX being sold by talk2me7.62, for about 1k. It's clean and was made in Belgium, I said it was early...even comes with a scope and factory mount(you can sell that to me).[insert: smile face]
You have a few post to hit 50 for PX and BX privileges, get typing. Or, look up the member and PM him. I'm sure you guys can work out a deal...
They are fun little take down rifles, I just bought one made in 1988 (Miroku, Japan).
I already bought it. My old one was a Belgian version. The new on is Japanese. I will shoot it over the iron sights. My partner has one of the Belgian versions. I actually think there are some advantages to the newer version. If you want to mount a scope the newer version will do a better job than the grooves cut in the earlier version. Side by side I shot better over iron sight with the new gun than my partner did with a scope on his Belgian old version. Then again, I’m only 80 and he is 82. His years in the CIA may have diminished his skills.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Change the gas jets and springs. It's a whole different gun after that. A little bit of work with some stones, and you've really got something. All the parts you need are here Accuracy Systems
Thanks for the tip. I bought my stock from them. It arrives in a couple of days. This thing tosses the ejected cartridges farther than I can throw them. Taming the gas system might make sense. Then again, this is a plinking gun for me. I am buying a precision rifle for driving tacks at 100 miles for serious shooti.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I bought my stock from them. It arrives in a couple of days. This thing tosses the ejected cartridges farther than I can throw them. Taming the gas system might make sense. Then again, this is a plinking gun for me. I am buying a precision rifle for driving tacks at 100 miles for serious shooti.
That's exactly why I did the two I have. Now it's a nice little pile. And I cut the trigger pull to 1/3 of what it was.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I own 3, a 1976 180 series, a stainless 183 series, and a 185 series GB folder. All have been trouble free, not as accurate or ergonomic as my Colt ARs, but good rifles all the same.

Where I live, due to the amount of wooded area, a long shot is about 100 - 150 yards and my Minis have been good for that.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts