M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a M14 clone from a Ruger Mini-14, however, there don’t seem to be any M14/M1A style buttplates for the Mini-14. Does anybody know of something like this that exists? To be honest, the buttplate on the Mini-14 is terrible and cheap.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Good luck. I have not seen anything like you look for that fits the mini 14. I am a big fan of the mini 14, I just wish more aftermarket parts were available, especially the parts that make it look more like its big brother. Custom making parts seems to be your only choice right now. I would be happy with an M1 style buttplate for the mini 14. If the stock is big enough in that area, an M1 plate could be fitted. Sadly, I think most mini stocks are to small. Either method, custom work seems the only way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck. I have not seen anything like you look for that fits the mini 14. I am a big fan of the mini 14, I just wish more aftermarket parts were available, especially the parts that make it look more like its big brother. Custom making parts seems to be your only choice right now. I would be happy with an M1 style buttplate for the mini 14. If the stock is big enough in that area, an M1 plate could be fitted. Sadly, I think most mini stocks are to small. Either method, custom work seems the only way.
There is a site called accuracy systems that has several parts that make it look like a M14. I’m in the process of making it look like an actual mini M14. I’ll post some pics when I get it back from them.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Do you mind sharing? I have a 580 series, so it has the flat butt plate type.
This is specifically designed to fit the walnut or birch stocks sold by Accuracy Systems. It addition to making these parts, you will need:
  • #4-40 x 1/4" flat head screws (2 ea)
  • #12 x 1" spring pins, coiled or slotted (2 ea)
  • 1/4" ball bearing (M14 part)
  • Ball bearing spring (M14 part)
  • Butt plate door and all associated guts for it (M14 part)
  • Long screw (M14 part)
  • Rear sling swivel (M14 or M1 part)
  • Short screw (M14 part)
The various M14 parts are available from Numrich.

We also have drawings for a rear sight assembly that looks much more like an M14 rear sight.

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I took the easy way out and shoehorned a M16 a1 buttplate on the stock

Not exactly perfect but good enough for me

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I will be your first customer! That looks great. What kind of adjustments does it have
I will be your first customer! That looks great. What kind of adjustments does it have
The sight works exactly like the RR200, the parts are just shaped to look more like an M14 rear sight.

Producing them is a bit more problematic, it took two 8-hour days to make the parts you see, it still needs another half a day to make the aperture and finish it. I don't think I could produce them for sale. But I will provide the drawings if you want to make your own.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
My 180 series has a metal butt plate, aluminum IIRC. It goes over the top corner, where the stock is rather nicely inletted for it, with a screw on top.
No trap door or checkering though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The sight works exactly like the RR200, the parts are just shaped to look more like an M14 rear sight.

Producing them is a bit more problematic, it took two 8-hour days to make the parts you see, it still needs another half a day to make the aperture and finish it. I don't think I could produce them for sale. But I will provide the drawings if you want to make your own.
If you could provide the drawings that would be great. I have a friend that might able to machine this out. Did you buy the RR20 sight and just replace the base and use the rest of the parts?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
If you could provide the drawings that would be great. I have a friend that might able to machine this out. Did you buy the RR20 sight and just replace the base and use the rest of the parts?
Never bought one just saw how it was made and designed one that worked the same way. No parts are interchangeable as far as I know. PM me for the drawings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts