M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/...s-from-the-Battle-of-Hastings-to-Helmand.html

The gear is from England but still our closest allies and of course most of our founding generation considered themselves English... until April 19th 1775 or July 4th 1776 if you prefer.

Funny thing, there is a gap from 1645 to 1815 so they missed the American Revolution and War of 1812.... hmmmm wonder if that was intentional or just nobody likes to dwell on the loses GI6

Reactions: bustedknuckles

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/...s-from-the-Battle-of-Hastings-to-Helmand.html

The gear is from England but still our closest allies and of course most of our founding generation considered themselves English... until April 19th 1775 or July 4th 1776 if you prefer.

Funny thing, there is a gap from 1645 to 1815 so they missed the American Revolution and War of 1812.... hmmmm wonder if that was intentional or just nobody likes to dwell on the loses GI6
I know that this is kind of mindblowing, but in the grand scheme of things, the American Revolution and War of 1812 were not important to the British. Also, when you consider that the US declared war on the UK, lost every battle fought on British soil, and lost several battles on American soil, it's kind of hard to describe the War of 1812 as a "loss" for the British.

I imagine that the reason for not having a uniform from the period 1645-1815 was because there weren't any significant changes in the uniform. During that period the British also won the 7 Years War and The War of the Austrian Succession.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that this is kind of mindblowing, but in the grand scheme of things, the American Revolution and War of 1812 were not important to the British. Also, when you consider that the US declared war on the UK, lost every battle fought on British soil, and lost several battles on American soil, it's kind of hard to describe the War of 1812 as a "loss" for the British.

I imagine that the reason for not having a uniform from the period 1645-1815 was because there weren't any significant changes in the uniform. During that period the British also won the 7 Years War and The War of the Austrian Succession.
I agree with your assessment it was more in jest than anything else hence the GI6... Funny thing is 239 years later and through successive waves of immigrants into the melting pot that is the American experience... We still have an affinity to the British and the Royal Family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts