M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching Fox News I saw a soldier with cornrolls and beads.
I know it's not my dad's army anymore, but give me a break! Cornrolls and beads? If it can be cornrolled it's probably too long.

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
If it is male and more than an 1 1/4", it's too long.

-

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The hair is bad enough but what the h%#@ is up with the beads?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
AR 670-1 specifically prohibits corn rows for male soldiers, while allowing them for females. All the male troops I see these days, at least here in Korea, have hair far shorter than I wore mine back in the '70s. Course, my platoon sergeant frequently called me 'Needsaharicut' Nichols. GI5

If it was a male soldier with corn rows, his chain of command need some serious attention from 'up above.'

·
Registered
379 Posts
I know that back when I was in (late 80's, early 90's), you could get a shaving profile if you suffered from razor bumps. I never saw or would think it would be allowed to have had corn rows.
I can remember in the Military Police, if they could grab any hair on the side of your head, you needed a hair cut..

Motown out

ARMY1

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mid to late 80s for me. Hair was high & tight on the sides, 1/4" max on top, fresh cut every Monday morning. That was my Ranger Battallion. Rest of the base at Fort Lewis was 1 1/4" and blended at the neck. Corn rolls? Unfreakin' believable.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I remember hair length depended on Company policy. Was not a big issue at McGregor Range. It was a big issue at the 44th Ord on Okinawa.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
181 Posts
I can't speak for the rest of the MOS's, but when I was in the MP's from '78 to '81, a 2 year commitment was offered for a brief time as was the option to get your head buzzed entering basic. You could actually enter basic training with a regulation "long hair" cut instead of the buzz. Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
AR 670-1 says male soldiers hair can't touch the eye brows while groomed. The hair must be tapered and cannot touch the collar. Side burns cannot go beyond the lowest part of the ear opening and the mustache cannot extend beyond the corners of your mouth. The mustache cannot present a blocky appearance. (no little Hitlers)

That's pretty much it in a nut shell. No beards beyond what a shaving profile may allow.

U.S Army N.G 00-02

U.S Army 02 - 08

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The rangers, what hair? at least when I was there. High and tights were the hooah haircut in the 82nd when I was there. SOCOM, the hair standard got a little pushed, when I was there. I expected to not have hair when I joined.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I always preferred the low-reg. Just on the border of legal. I never agreed with those people who felt "the regs" were what they wanted them to be. read the book, freak. I never felt that a high and tight made me a better rifleman. And it definitely doesn't help you score chicks on the weekend. I guess that is why I really like the low reg. Corn rows are probably seen as "culturally sensitive" for army females. I think its nasty. I mean you're supposed to like a soldier, a representative of the United States not a zulu chief. just my .02

·
Registered
453 Posts
I see pogs get away with f-ed up hair all the time. You'll see an e-2 walk up to an e-7 and give him a high five followed by "waddup dawg" in public. Their chain of command doesn't care to enforce it cause they do it themselves.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can you find out what unit he was in??? I dont dig the over the top zealous your hair must be super short guys, but that is unacceptable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can't speak for the rest of the MOS's, but when I was in the MP's from '78 to '81, a 2 year commitment was offered for a brief time as was the option to get your head buzzed entering basic. You could actually enter basic training with a regulation "long hair" cut instead of the buzz. Mike
not at FT Konx in basic/AIT we all got buzz cut, 1979 TO 83

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I agree with the haircut discussion. However a hairstyle has nothing to do with how a trooper fights. Give me a good trooper and he'll keep his weapon clean, kill the enemy, protect the men & women in the unit, & plainly do their job. I have always been in Armored Cav, Infantry, & Armor units. Quite frankly both in the Regular Army & later in the National Guard, haircuts weren't a major concern as a company commander.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Looking at pics from the sandbox, I see a lot of latitude being given as far as AR-670-1 stuff, haircuts, and equipment being worn uniformly. The soldiers are even allowed to trick out their rifles to whatever works for them. The troops seem to pretty much do whatever works for them as far as being effective in combat. I'm not opposed to this by any means, it's just a lot different than the peace-time Army I served in. We were always spit and polish and everything on your uniform and ALICE gear had to look the same. AND, we had to wear those stupid gas masks everywhere we went also. If things were a little more laxed, I probably would have stayed in for a while instead of doing my four year enlistment and then settting a world speed record for out-processing and heading back home.
Just my thoughts..

Motown out

ARMY1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts