M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to experiment with hand loaded mexi match ammo- any one have any suggestions/ recipes?

·
Super Moderator
11,138 Posts
Mex Match isn't a reload its just swaping out the USGI 173gr pill for a 168 or 175gr Sierra.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Mex Match isn't a reload its just swaping out the USGI 173gr pill for a 168 or 175gr Sierra.
Thats correct, and its a pain in the a$$ too....

Shoot the 173's and reload the cases, with a good accurate 14 match load...

Ill give you one...

41.8 grs IMR 4895 (start at 41 with LC brass)
167 gr Lapua Scenar
CCI 34 primers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
150 GR BTHP steele case

thank you gentlemen for the reply. i have heard of pulling bullets from steel cased russian ammo and seating the same gr. match bullet in its place. any comment on this practice?

·
Registered
558 Posts
thank you gentlemen for the reply. i have heard of pulling bullets from steel cased russian ammo and seating the same gr. match bullet in its place. any comment on this practice?
My honest opinion....Dont shoot steel cased ammo in a 14...

Most 14's (M1A's) today are not a 7.62 milspec chamber (slightly larger), they are a standard 308 Winny chamber. Brass stretches and grips the chamber walls (for a couple milliseconds) then contracts. Its needs to contract for efficient extraction of the case. Steel behaves differently, it may not contract as much (or at all) and with a tighter chamber (non-milspec) you will likely (read, you "will") encounter problems such as stuck cases and/or case-head separations. Not fun... My advice is to save yourself the aggravation and dont shoot it in your M14/M1A.

The cycling action of the M14 is about one of the fastest of the gas guns that you can own. With a non-milspec chamber you need cases that are going to "behave" appropriately, which means using brass..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts