M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on placing some metal targets at 400 to 800 yds. to shoot with my M14. Does anyone have some kind of idea of how thick the steel should be so the bullets will not penetrate the target? I shoot exclusively soft point civilian bullets.
thanks for you help John

·
Registered
135 Posts
+1 on that. Hardness is more important than thickness for sure. Have fun!

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Maybe Hawk or Geeck will come along and post the pic of a brake rotor we were shooting last week at 100yds, with FMJ 150gr.....it is roughly 3/8" thick, then 3/8" air space, then 3/8" thick again....the rounds penetrated first layer and 3/4 through second layer of steel....cracked the back layer good. Of course this is cast iron and much closer than you will shoot, but gives you some idea of the power involved.

At 400 yds. I would guess that 1'' plate would be ok.....although if not real hard, will exhibit some dents and penetration.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My cousin and I used to shoot the used disks off of a disk implement (farming equipment to you city slickers).

Really fun with 7.62 and 5.56 rounds under 100 yards. .45s were fun as well. Makes for some nice feed back and for some great sparks on the shooting mound! GI6

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here is some AR500 steel I have.
I got a set of these and got to the range for a test.

All were shot from +/-25 yards
#1 5.56mm M855 out of a 16" Stag upper
#2 5.56mm M193 out of a 16" Stag upper
#3 .30-06 150gr FMJ out of a 22" Savage bolt gun.

#1 has less than 1/8" crater
#2 has less than 1/32" crater
#3 has less than 1/16" crater

This the way I have the gongs set up.

I am going to weld this bracket to the gong and fill in the hole.

·
Registered
503 Posts
+1 on the AR500 plate

All my steel targets hang so they are angled toward the ground, the hooks allow them to swing to dissipate energy and prevent ricochet. When the bullet hits and comes apart all the pieces are directed at the ground.

Shooting at steel is alot of fun, just be careful.

Todd

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
FMJ Rifle rounds will not ricochet when hitting AR500. The bullet explodes on impact. Virtually nothing left of the bullet to ricochet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts