M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried and did it under a new new name, and it confused me.
Here goes..
If anyone out there can help me, I've put 1400+ rounds through my M1A, and the Company Op Rod has problems. The steel (unhardened I might add) has peened over where the roller runs. Particularly where the Op Rod contacts the roller on the bolt when locking it closed. I have found out when my chamber gets dirty from firing and theres a little resistance chambering,the bolt wont lock. I have to give it a decent rap with the ball of my hand to close and get the bolt locked. but if I just push VERY lightly down on top of the right locking lug it goes as easy as pie.
I have seen an example of this in Kuhnhausens (Spelled correctly?) most excellent book. But, the only GI Op Rods I see are on EBay won for 200 bucks and over. can any one point me in the direction of one more reasonable? 125 and over? Thanks
BTW, I have seen some posts from some folks who defend the SA Inc. to the death about how their parts arent inferior. I learned the truth!!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Firing Line - MarchOrDie :D

Glad to have you with us - think you're gonna like it here.

You might want to keep an eye out for deals on op rods and other spare parts by looking in our Swap and Shop section.

Anyway, there's always room for one more - we'll set a place at the table for ya. Jump right in, you're among friends.

duckbuck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome Duck.
Hillbilly, You are sayin that I could send it back and they would have to replace it? Thatll be great, but to tell ya the truth, Once bitten twice shy.
In other words, if they would send me a "OK" SA Inc Op Rod, Id rather pass, and send this Op Rod to someone like Kuhnhausen so they can document these failures for a book (Or maybe a web site??) :idea:

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha MarchOrDie:

Welcome Aboard.

To get an op rod at a good price requires you to watch the WTS sections of the board, here and as many other boards as you are on.

I see a lot of CMP op rods (used but usually good shape) going for about $70-$90 on the average.

I really think you should take up Hillbilly's advice and give SA a try. At least maybe the benefit of the doubt. I don't think this is normal for the op rod to be as bad as described. I know some say that it is difficult to remove, tight fitting, etc. but this is first that I heard of where it was peened over. Hey maybe you can take some pics... that would be helpful as well.

If SA does send you another op rod, you could always sell it and make back some of your cost in getting a USGI... just a thought.

BTW, I have seen some posts from some folks who defend the SA Inc. to the death about how their parts arent inferior. I learned the truth!!
I think I am in the category that you mentioned. Although maybe not "to the death"... :lol: But having lots of M1A's I have yet to "experience" what others have. I am sure if I got defective parts, bad service, or attitude from SA, you could bet that I would say something... :lol:

In any case, Welcome Aboard.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Peen on op-rod

MarchorDie, Every op-rod I have ever seen that has any usage on it has some peening, My rifles op-rod has over 7000 rounds on it (H&R) and it has peens. I would question what ammo you are using as far as the bolt not closing. examples, Realoads not sized properly or maybe a dirty chamber.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are several " BUY IT NOW" TRW op rods on ebay for $150.00 right now.Just punch up "trw" on their search.They don't always show up when you type in " op rod" .Other than that, they do show up here and jouster for 75.00 to 100.00 pretty often.I got a TRW off jouster for 100.00 and was extremely happy with it. GARY R.

·
Registered
273 Posts
March or Die,
Yes, if you have not made alterations to your Springfield M1A it is under warantee and they will replace anything that goes bad. The only problem is that sometimes they are slow. Give them a call and tell them what happened, you might get a surprise. As Tom said, you can always sell the new op rod to help pay for a GI, or hey, keep it for a spare.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually the funny thing is thats not all what was wrong with it..
The company bolt that I changed out for a Winchester GI was hand ground on the bottom (A little too much..) the extractor post sticks out and has flew out on me on one occasion..
And the Trigger Housing has the trigger pin holes drilled off a 90 degree angle. The trigger is a bit crooked and rides the inside right of the hammer. Maybe thats graspin for straws, but in Kuhnhausens book thats a no no..
What do you think? Do ya think thats cryin too much? After all I did drop over a grand on it like every other red blooded american.
Can anyone advise me what number to call??

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha MarchOrDie:

If the parts are bad, IMHO, you have every right to have it made "correct"! You did pay for a good and within spec working product and if the parts have been over ground, peened and binding, and incorrectly drilled or fabricated, definitely you should contact SA. Apparently it is more than the op rod, so in this case, you might want to discuss sending the entire rifle back with a list of all of your observations. They should be able to explain the situation or make it right for each of your complaints.

The SA web site is: http://www.springfield-armory.com/index.shtml

And the contact number is:

How to contact us

Mailing Address:
Springfield Armory
420 West Main Street
Geneseo, Illinois 61254

Phone:
1-800-680-6866
1-309-944-5631

Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Central Time, Monday through Friday.

Fax:
309-944-3676

E-mail Contact:
Sales:
[email protected]
Custom Shop:
[email protected]

An Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer
A couple of other items... SA provides PAID shipping to them at Geneseo and a Toll-Free number to call. Shipping can be by FedEx or the Brown guys and is your choice.

Very few companies provide this to customers and when I sent my M1A which had a defective bolt, they made it right and headspaced (actually just validated) an additional USGI bolt that I sent along as well.

I do understand the concept of "Once bitten twice shy"... but in not letting SA know that they have a problem is not doing you any good. I hope everything turns out well for you.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would put the Springfield bolt back in the rifle before sending it back and if you prefer the Winchester send it along as Tom did. That way you have two properly headspaced bolts when the rifle is returned to you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think thats what I'll do then!! I hate the idea of sendin my M1A away leavin me high and dry (But I still got my SMLEno4 mk1).

Thanks to all you guys (Especially you Dighawii and Hillbilly)!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.