M14 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
We need to start a thread about things we can do to detect and out these scammers BEFORE we send our money.
Like maybe, have them send to prospective buyer a copy of their drivers license, voter ID card, electric bill, etc. Anyone who refuses that I wouldn't send my money to. Also, pictures of something with a date and time in it written on an index card. Just a couple of things off top of my head.

MODS: Why don't you start this thread for us please. Title it "SCAMMERS: Things you can do to detect them" or something like that.
CMP forums has a BEWARE of username xxx sticky at the top of the page on the FOR SALE OR TRADE Parts section, its useful to see if anyone is a potential scammer. May be useful in here as well in the PX & BX.

· Registered
626 Posts
Six months ago I was scammed out of $440 after posting a "WTB" on another forum. That forum had no rules regarding minimum posts on the WTB / WTS forums.

The scammer quickly went from pm format to text and sent me pics of the items. We went back and forth for a couple of days and he responded promptly to questions. He sent me his contact info for a USPS Money order and that's where I made my first mistake. I did NOT Google his mailing address. If I had I would see that it was a decaying Section 8 housing project in the inner city of Pittsburgh, which in hindsight matched his first name, if you know what I mean.

I learned my lesson. Several.

Check the member's 'time on the forum'. In my case they guy had been a member for 9 months. I read some of his posts. They were technical and gave him credibility. But he was patient and playing the long game.
Insist on pics of the item(s) with your username and or date written on a piece of paper placed next to the item.
Google the street address. Does the environment look right?
Google the cell number. If it's from a carrier you never heard of, it's probably an Obamaphone / Gov't subsidized provider and those folks obviously can't play our game.
Pay with a credit card if possible and stop trying to save a 3% 'noncash' fee; look at it as cheap insurance.
Money Orders are like cash and all you can do is file a complaint with the USPS Inspector General. The only thing that you'll get out of that is an email months later saying 'thanks for your information'. Nothing more.

I posted my situation on the other forum like the OP did here as a warning to others and maybe a bit of self-flagellation. Deserved. I think most folks understand and my warning was useful, the scammer got banned. Although the one board know-it-all felt compelled to tell me I was stupid and deserved to be scammed.

· Registered
3,149 Posts
I'll give y'all another thing to be careful of. As a Realtor we are finding more and more packages at homes that are unoccupied listed properties or properties that are second homes that are frequently unoccupied. And when looking at the shipping labels, they don't match the owners or tenants. Usually it turns out to be scam orders, sometimes drugs.

Bottom line in my opinion. Start actually talking to people. We are relying to much on electronic communication and not enough on spoken words. It's a lot easier to steal from someone if they don't hear the deceit in their voice.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
I should add here that as fellow members of Forums with shared interests, we tend to place faith and trust in other members that 99.99% of the time is justified.

Unfortunately that is also our (mine) weak spot and the scammers know this very well and use it to their advantage.
And there is the problem. On the CMP Forum members accounts have been hacked/hijacked and they seem to focus on older established members, many that haven't been recently active. Just ask Hammonje about that as he was one who's account was hacked and used for a fraudulent sale on the CMP Forum. Hammonje was completely unaware that someone was using his good name till he logged in a month or so later and saw that he was "Banned" on the Forum.

· Registered
7,684 Posts
I should add here that as fellow members of Forums with shared interests, we tend to place faith and trust in other members that 99.99% of the time is justified.
I will say that this forum is simply not what it was even 2-3 years ago. Used to be that everyone here was a M14 enthusiast; I just don't get that feeling anymore. Further, when the format changed and the buyer/seller feedback (now "Reviews") was disabled, I can't help but think that's when the scammers really started to show. Not that it was all 100% peachy prior to that, but at least there was a way to get a feel for the generally anonymous person you were dealing with on the other side. And while the Reviews section is now back, it's not 100% functional as I don't think any new reviews can be added--at least as far as I can tell, maybe I'm wrong on that.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
No. The IP addresses from Africa have always been scammers.
I’ve been away from ITech for 3 years.
but is there a way to just ban all IP’s coming from Nigeria, or even Africa?

or as a second thought. Run an IP trace on all new members and just ban them if they are coming from Nigeria.

there must be a way to fight this, or at least give them speed bumps to go elsewhere in this day and age. Scammers are like water, they take the easiest paths. If the forum can check them at the point if new membership, they will go elsewhere.

· Registered
3,149 Posts
I’ve been away from ITech for 3 years.
but is there a way to just ban all IP’s coming from Nigeria, or even Africa?

or as a second thought. Run an IP trace on all new members and just ban them if they are coming from Nigeria.

there must be a way to fight this, or at least give them speed bumps to go elsewhere in this day and age. Scammers are like water, they take the easiest paths. If the forum can check them at the point if new membership, they will go elsewhere.
On the Forum I had, I would have to manually accept each member. If they were Russian Federation, they just got banned out the gate before they ever got in.

· Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
That’s the kind of thing I was thinking of.
Do a trace route on all new members. Just ban them out of the gate.
That happens with new members however from time too time, the users IP has too be flagged as a bad guy first. As a general rule for myself anyone not from N.America doesn’t get through the front door.

· Registered
34 Posts
Maybe if purchasing a firearm have them drag it to a local FFL for shipping. Pay them for it upon FFL conformation of them releasing the gun. Call ahead to the FFL and pay him for his time.

I did this early on With a warranty return. I was unsure of the laws. Went to my ffl, they logged it, boxed it and shipped it for something like 30$.

Sorry for your loss. Thus far I have been mostly lucky in firearms communities.

· Registered
51 Posts
If I were buying something like that, I would have verified physical address through county tax records and address before sending squat unless I knew you. Just saying. Verifying people now is a heck of a lot easier that it use to be.

Ten years ago I caught a guy and I even managed to backtrack his REAL info and sent him a picture of himself......
Those trashy pukes that scam deserve to HANG.

34 Posts
If I can't hold the item in my hand, I don't, even remotely, consider buying anything.
I’ve had outstanding luck with GBroker and GAmer. The rating system is fair in my opinion. With that being said, I stuck my neck out on a guy with no ratings and bought a well taken care of low s/n Ruger Mini-14 with factory folding stock. I had the GS turn it into a non-SBR AC-556k clone.

I have been ripped off also. A website called Top Ammo Mag got me for 300$ on magazines (ad for Knight’s Arm SR-25 mags). They wanted gift cards for payment, which I gladly provided. Fool me once phoey on me….

· Registered
9,982 Posts
Please keep in mind there is always the Postal Inspector ie Mail Fraud along with the FBI for Wire Fraud.
. Usps barely delivers the mail.
Many of these scammers are in Nigeria. And the postal inspector with Usps has very little capability to deal with mail fraud. And the FBI?
Come on, reality here.

· Registered
98 Posts
Used $1000 Zelle and $500 Paypal FF

Never ever use Zelle or any other direct payment method. Once you hit enter or return the money is instantly sent from you account to whomever.... If seller does not use MasterCard or another charge card steer clear, it's more than likely a scam. I get 5 scams calls daily all from Nigeria or the British East Islands... ALL SCAMS> I got took for $270.00 using Zelle,,, never again.. Charge Card only.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts