M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 108 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Never pay with only electronic funds, its a sure sign of a scammer. Sorry that you guys appear to have been scammed.
Money orders are not a sure bet either. I asked my wife who is a branch manager for a credit union and the only paper form of payment with recourse is a certified check or aka cashiers check. There is no recourse for USPS money orders, etc. You're essentially sending cash.

· Registered
3,149 Posts
If I were buying something like that, I would have verified physical address through county tax records and address before sending squat unless I knew you. Just saying. Verifying people now is a heck of a lot easier that it use to be.

Ten years ago I caught a guy and I even managed to backtrack his REAL info and sent him a picture of himself......

· Registered
12,423 Posts
Money orders are not a sure bet either. I asked my wife who is a branch manager for a credit union and the only paper form of payment with recourse is a certified check or aka cashiers check. There is no recourse for USPS money orders, etc. You're essentially sending cash.
Have sent USPS money orders many times but not to people I dont know or trust. On GB and other aauction sites I am pretty comfortable with them, and have never been scammed.
On a site like this with a newish member, forget it, wont even buy from them or NR sellers on GB.

· Registered
237 Posts
Hammonje I sincerely hope your case can get resolved.

Reactions: hammonje

· Registered
237 Posts
Have sent USPS money orders many times but not to people I dont know or trust. On GB and other aauction sites I am pretty comfortable with them, and have never been scammed.
On a site like this with a newish member, forget it, wont even buy from them or NR sellers on GB.
Agreed and rightfully so. It's a practice that may seem unfair to some, but it's a best practice. That's why I feel very blessed the community here took a chance on myself. Being relatively new. Yes, I joined in 2013 but don't get around to posting very much do to my job.

· Registered
2,607 Posts
Zelle went through my bank. so can dispute and perhaps recover funds. Sent scammer link to this post.
Although I have done it, I now know that Zelle does not want you to use it for purchase of firearms so you may have issues with your dispute.

Reactions: hammonje

· Registered
9,982 Posts
Responded to sales add for SAI M1A from member Longdrive. Did not get first rifle, but was sent another option few days later. Decent price and very nice rifle. Member has several posts, but access to information blocked. Sales adds quickly removed. I am nervous I may have been ripped off $1500. Please investigate.
Jason,

You’ve been a longtime member.
So,
What made you buy something from someone that just joined the forum in November? I don’t want to pile onto your pain here. But man what were you thinking?

· Registered
9,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Capona, pile it on. If I were concerned with embarrassment I'd of just contacted the mods. If making an example and poking fun at me saves one decent person from being ripped off then great.

· Registered
703 Posts
I feel your pain; been there, done that. usmchistorian is correct; there is no recourse for USPS money orders. Ask me how I know . . .

· Registered
1,446 Posts
unkola and I were both interested in the 80k M1A with all Winchester parts listed by longdrive. I was suspicious of his low post count, but unkola had heard from the seller and even had received additional pictures. I am sorry to hear that he and hammonje have possibly been scammed, it could just have easily been me. It is a shame that we now have to worry about scammers from what appears to within our own ranks, pretty soon all the forums will have multi stage verification just to post like ar15.com. A PITA, but maybe a necessary evil in today's environment. I saw this morning over on the CMP Forums they sniffed out a scammer on the Parts for Sale section If a deal seems to good to be true, it probably is.

· Super Moderator
3,991 Posts
Mods: If we are going to make a purchase, and know a seller’s reported address, are we able to reach out to you to cross check their IP address location? I mean, you don’t have to disclose much, but if a seller telling me he is in Georgia is actually in Nigeria that might be useful info.
We can check a users IP address and see if they have a shared IP address too. The write up I have shared below (which I already posted) has other things you can check on as well. The good scammers are patient but normally will NOT have a history of selling - they may have replies to posts but not any PX/BX transactions. If something seems questionable contact a moderator - when you are acquiring a rifle you are being asked to cough up a lot of $ so be super diligent if it is not a known member with many PX/BX transactions.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts