M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

This is "Dottie". She's a July 2014, Walnut, Loaded SAI. Well, that's when and how she left the factory. At some point, an idiot took the walnut off and put plastic on. It wasn't me. A new laminate stock set is on order, and with some work and a few upgrades she's going to be seeing use on the firing line. As those upgrades occur, I'll try to post them in this thread, but it's going to be a long project.

I'm a little excited. Oh, the name. Dottie comes from the movie "Armageddon". I'll let you look it up; this is a family friendly forum.

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
898 Posts
Well, hello Dottie. It's so nice to have you back where you belong. You're looking swell, Dottie. I've got to tell ya, Dottie. I like your stock, even if your owner thinks it's wrong...

I guess I'm an "idiot" for preferring the "plastic" stock that my Scout Squad came in. My rifle exceeds all of my needs exactly as she came from the factory. I sure love the look of wood, but with the titanium rod in my left humerus, the missing fingers on my left hand, the hardware in my spine, and being confined to a wheelchair makes me very happy to have a lightweight stock that allows me to remain effective with my M1A. I have zero complaints with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I ordered all the stock metal to go on the new stock (which is going to be walnut instead of laminate) and when those came in, this was in the package as well. I laughed my ass off. Now I have to find a good place for it!

Font Brand Graphics Logo Typesetting

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She's gonna be a full-figured NM gal. This stock has the thin-line bedding routs that I remember from the NM M-14's we had on the Guard shooting team; not sure if I'll use them or hog it out some more ala Tonyben. There's a Dupage walnut stock on the way as well so I'll have to make a choice at some point. But for now she's out of the plastic - also noticed that mag (that's a 20, don't know why it looks short), which was really tight in the plastic, locks in to this stock easily. I slathered on a coat of tru-oil and I'm hoping the figure in the butt doesn't fade out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The first wood stock was good. This one from Dupage is better. I found a never used, March 1984 MRT 1907 sling but may go back to the web sling instead; either that or drop the coin for a Ron Brown. Eventually I have to get to the range but there's a NM rear aperture to fit first.

Nature Wood Air gun Water Twig

Reactions: MuppetMeat4Me

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, Dottie is ready for some range time. I took an hour or two this morning and fitted a NM rear sight:

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Automotive tire Bumper Camera lens

I'm going to hold off bedding the stock; the Dupage is a really tight fit already. We'll see how she groups and handles a match or two first. I went back to the web sling for now but I'll look for a good leather sling when I'm at Perry this summer.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I named my M-1A Big Bertha. She is my most reliable long gun in my opinion. Probably, I have put about 1,100 rounds through it over the years I have owned it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts