M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My main question I guess, is how does the stainless barrel compare to a chrome lined moly barrel in terms of barrel life and reliability?

Background:

I'm planning on participating in the LRB group buy and am trying to determine which barrel I want on my M25 receiver.

The rifle is going to be bedded in a McMillan M3A stock and built with a 10x or higher powered optic in mind.

I already have an 18.5" "bush rifle" with a standard weight GI contour in a synthetic stock...it's my "lightweight, irons only, easy to carry, 0-300 yards, tritium front sight, 3 MOA" M14 (although I do have a small underside rail with a TLR-1 light on it :) ).

This one will be pretty much the complete opposite of that....hopefully one MOA, heavy, optics, bipod, etc.

My priorities for the barrel are:

1. Durability/Reliability
2. Accuracy
3. Ease of Cleaning
4. Weight (more might actually be better for this rifle)

If I do go with the Stainless heavy, I'll have it bead blasted. I'd probably like to keep it at the same twist rate as my standard, gi-contour....does anyone know what that would be? 1 in 12" I presume?

Thanks!

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
With a 10X scope I wouldn't waste time with a chrome lined barrel. I would go straight to a Krieger in either medium or full heavy barrel contour. Gilt Edge accuracy in those barrels lasts a good 5,500 to 6,000 rounds. As to rifling twist, I would suggest you confer with Krieger on what bullet/bullets you intend to shoot and they will tell you the best twist for them.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Gus.

I shoot mostly 155's with occasional 168's, which is why I was leaning toward one in 12, but I think one in 11 might actually be a little bit better.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Agree with Gus on the chrome lining.

I shoot a Krieger S.S. heavy with a 1:10 twist on one of my rifles. Works fantastic with 168 SMKs, 167 Lapua Scenars (particularly well with these!!!), and 175 SMKs...

Just remember, even stainless steel can rust. Its rust resistant, not rust-proof....

SIDE NOTE: Chrome Moly (I realize you are considering Chrome Lined which is not the same thing) will give more warning when the barrel is starting to get shot out as opposed to stainless which just kind of stops shooting all of a sudden. [Personally I have experienced this, but others say they do not. Its somewhat subjective depending on your skill and expectations..]

Either material in a Krieger Barrel will serve you well. Cant say I like one over the other....

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
For genral purpose use, I would go with a medium weight barrel. Heavy weight barrels are best for High Power Matches IMHO.

·
Registered
558 Posts
For genral purpose use, I would go with a medium weight barrel. Heavy weight barrels are best for High Power Matches IMHO.
This is a good point. Since you cant use an M14 with an LRB M25 receiver in formal Service Rifle events (NRA/CMP-EIC), the extra weight may not be desirable for a general purpose rifle.

I would still opt for it if the greatest degree of accuracy is desirable, like you are going to shoot from a bench or bipod or in prone most of the time.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a good point. Since you cant use an M14 with an LRB M25 receiver in formal Service Rifle events (NRA/CMP-EIC), the extra weight may not be desirable for a general purpose rifle.

I would still opt for it if the greatest degree of accuracy is desirable, like you are going to shoot from a bench or bipod or in prone most of the time.
Well....this rifle is probably going to be bench/bipod oriented. I already have a lightweight oriented, short barreled model so this rifle is designed to be the opposite end of the m14 spectrum. For some reason I just have a hard time getting away from chrome lining, having run through most of the lifespan of one non-chrome barrel in just 2 years of shooting. 6000 rounds just isn't a lot, especially considering I get rapid fire happy sometimes. Too bad they don't make a heavy profile chrome lined....I guess that would be a bit counterintuitive since most heavy profile users don't want the potential accuracy degradation of chrome.

Another issue on the heavy barrels, I've heard there are problems with regular handguards in regard to the barrel making contact with them? What sort of handguard would I need for a heavy barrel?

Also, is the stainless heavy considered to be superior in every aspect except for burn-out pattern (stainless loses accuracy sharply once it's life reaches the end, vs gradually for moly).

I've been thinking that JY Wolfe's modified medium weight chrome lined barrel would be a good compromise between heavy and medium, but they seem to be backordered.

I should probably just make a decision and go with it, I doubt the whole heavy vs med. issues justifies the amount of fretting I'm doing over it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts