M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some medical supplies stored, but there is only so much that someone not in the medical field can get or have the knowledge to apply. I have the basics but really want to expand on what I have. I would also like to get a book or two for desperate times.

Can anyone recommend a medical gear supplier? How about a reference book? I looked at the book "Ditch Medicine" it might work for my needs.

How about fish antibiotics? If the SHTF medical supplies and help are a long ways away for me.

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Don't let "not being in the field" discourage you......... There is a source for everything. You just have to know where to look.

Have you gone over to - http://survivalblog.com/ - and looked through their archives.

There are several very good "Wilderness Medical" (3 - 4 day) programs being taught.

If your going to be the "Doc" for the group, investing in your knowledge will be the thing that gives the most return..... You can have $10,000 in supplies and still not know how to use them.

continue the search.

Hobo

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
My standard resources are certified paramedic training, the books 'Medicine for Mountaineering,' 'The Mercks Manual,' a medical dictionary, and the commie book 'A Barefoot Doctors Manual.' There are plenty of other good ones, check out the medical links here: http://m14forum.com/broken-arrow/164250-survival-links-all-occasions.html So far, I particularly like "Where There Is No Doctor."

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
A couple thoughts: like sweets says, get an EMT book for basic life support and first aid, and some antibiotics, sutures for superficial wounds, aside from this, if your not a doctor then major stuff is out of the question, in the old days people who got hurt real bad died.
I'm an EMT and have some basic life support skills and some advanced first aid, but in a shtf scenario, I'm not going to cut some one open and remove thier appendix, even if I have a book and a scalpel.

I keep a pretty advanced kit and supplies but really in most cases where it's major, aside from keeping them alive longer or keeping them comfy, they will probably die without a real doctor for stuff where this vein needs reattached or that artery or that bone needs set or that ligament needs fixed.

I think the best thing I ever did was become an EMT. Its a lot of hours and time and energy but worth it for the knowledge.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
You can get antibiotics from the feed store for animals. exact same stuff humans take. Get info off of internet on administration of each antibiotic you store. Good to have a printed chart for weight vs milligrams in your kit to know how much and how often to give. JM2C

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am a register nurse and have alot hours logged into ED units, ICU, OR and step down units. Even with what i have seen,done and treated patients with wide range of issues,,, i still feel unprepared. Don't doubt yourself on what you already know. Because 9 out 10 times you will know a alot more than what you think.

Ref Books/ Material: When i just started out i read everything and took what ever class 's were available.. Local red cross or the AMA (american heart assoc.) are great places. CPR for medical professional, you do not have to be one to take but it will cover infant/adult CPR, AED, and how to use a bag mask.. awesome class!!!
Next i would take a basic first aid class, if i felt comfortable after that local colleges sometimes off cheap way to get an EMT license, and other independent corps offer them too. Where i live you can take them on weekends and nights. Even if you never work as an EMT having that knowledge and having to ride on a bus, go out to calls, and getting that heart pumping is priceless training.

BOOKS: i would for surely recommend " Where there is no doctor", it is 400 + pages of intel on everything young,old, sick,healthy, diseases, drugs, first aid you name its got it, and it is a simple read. and it will drive you to if you do not understand something to look it up.
i would also, and i am never without one, is a good drug book. I personally like " davis drug guide for nurses". This has a great appendix so you may look for drugs generic or trade name, interaction, how it works, what is is used for, and SIDE EFFECTS, half lives, and if so antidote. taking the class will give you the emt books and the education. I am a BIG +1 on getting an EMT lic... you can also buy them (books) at amazon,ebay, or local book store. I live in comifornia people are more holistic especially in my county, so having a natural medicine ref book is a need for me and it covers, roots, vitamins, minerals, etc...

I am big on class/seminars.. i have practiced martials art/stick and knife fighting for 30 years but i will hit at least 3 class's a year just to keep the knowledge coming. It is no different for me i should say when i take weapons class's or tac med class's.

Sure there is a TON of youtube channel guru's ( some legit, other full of CENSOREDGI) on this stuff. and you could probably learn how to stitch, lets just say, a wound by watching but; how many people out there have suture kits or medical staple guns for that matter, which is way more easier to use, and grab a piece of chicken skin on it, cut it with a serrated blade. Clean out a fresh wound, dry, try to approximate the edges, only to realize they need to cut some material away so they may stitch correctly?? is that skin,fat,nerve, blood vessel, muscle?? should i cut and leave, pack the wound stitch later, stitch now? what wounds are in need durabond, sutures, staples, butterflies or just need to be packed???

Training is key!

how to get started i will make it very simple, besides what is up above.. Start at home!! take all the illness, heart problems, blood pressure problems, thyroid problems, diabetes, asthma, copd, sinus issues, acid reflux, strokes, arthritis, CENSOREDGI look up gout, thats common and start there. Look up what the disease is, early, chronic, acute, late stages , meds typically given and dosages normally prescribed. Hell you can spend a day on the medication Bennadryl alone! no joke, between uses, and where that takes you depending on ur knowledge base and the different dossages between kids, adults and what to expect when given, it will take you all day. and if you are given meds by your doctor look it up.

i like other people have advanced med kits. like weapons the one thats on me gets me to my truck, truck ones gets me home or to a hospital. Kind of like a pistol get you to your rifle. get the books, take the class's and start at home with your own or family medical issues

Websites to buy: NArescue, Chinnook medical supplies( my fav place) and for a simple blowout kit dark angel. Even AR500 armor has a great kit for 80 bucks, just got one for my brother not to long ago...

IMPORTANT!! Only use what you know how to use, its fine to carry or have stuff you don't know how to use(decompression needle as an example) because to be honest with you if i go down, accident, or shot.... i hope to God their is person smarter than me that comes to help.

pm if you have any questions or you need details on how i made my med kits or whats in them... Good luck and remember first rule in medicine is, " Do No Harm"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.