M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one have a trick to measuring accurately oal from the ogive without buying the fancy hornady set-up.. measure thing, special case, comparator and bushing set. I hope to only have to do this once for my bolt gun. In the meantime I will do some searching
Thanks.

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
Buy one of the comparator "nuts" from Sinclair. They are very inexpensive and can be used for 6 different calibers. Or, if you don't want to invest any of your hard earned dollars, make one of your own, or borrow one from a friend.

Don't forget, the measurement is only a number used for comparison purposes. It has no other meaning. So, it doesn't really make sense when you say you're only going to do it once. What do you intend to do with the number when you have it?
Ray

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like that Idea. When I said measure once what I am after is a nice COAL that is about 10-20 thousandths off the lands of my long range 308. I want to measure what that is from the ogive so I can set up my extra die and leave it for that rifle. I have another die I use to load stuff that will fit into the mags. I was looking for a way around buying one of those gauges with the bushings, they are like 37 bucks and I only need it for one calibur. I don't want to borrow one because I may need it for a while until I dial in the cartridge--Length, charge, trim length, each for different projectile weight. I think the ogive should be the same distance for 168, 175 and 178 all hpbt.
Thanks,

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
If you want to bother with the ogive dimension then you have to go through the whole process to measure it correctly, there is no short cut using some half measurement process. You aren't going to make an accurate guess and end up guaranteeing that the bullet is .010" - .020" off the lands. The Sinclair tool is only $20 and it works with several calibers, if you really want to seat the bullet to the degree of accuracy that you mentioned then I'd spend the bucks and use it.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
and don't forget you can make a simple/cheap tool to find where the lands are. Just split the neck of a suitable empty case, and shove your bullet in a little ways.

Push this firmly into your chamber. Remove with the help of a cleaning rod.

Should see the marks at the ogive caused by the lands. If careful, you can set your seating die with this tool.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want to bother with the ogive dimension then you have to go through the whole process to measure it correctly, there is no short cut using some half measurement process. You aren't going to make an accurate guess and end up guaranteeing that the bullet is .010" - .020" off the lands. The Sinclair tool is only $20 and it works with several calibers, if you really want to seat the bullet to the degree of accuracy that you mentioned then I'd spend the bucks and use it.
Thanks for the direction, I had only seen the hornady comparators which are 37+ the sinclair one is more than reasonable and since I only have one rifle that I would like to customize a load for (including length) it's nice to get only what I want. I might just start by going through a couple hundred of my finished cartridges and get them sorted. If a certain length is good no sense in changing what isn't broken.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
One of the nice things about the Sinclair tool is that you can toss it in your field bag and check your ammo at the range if you feel the need. It's a nice quality control check.

Reactions: wiz1997

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Just make up a round in a sized case. Seat the bullet shorter in tiny increments. Each time, stuff it into the chamber--when it drops out on it's own when you tip the muzzle up, you're at the lands. Bonus is that your sizing die is now set for zero jump and dialing in the jump you want is a simple matter of seating the bullet that much deeper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts