M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that McMillan M1A stocks do not come with hardware. I can tell that this means a buttplate and screws and front and rear sling mounts/swivels are not included. Does the front metal cap/furrel come with the stock?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I see that McMillan M1A stocks do not come with hardware. I can tell that this means a buttplate and screws and front and rear sling mounts/swivels are not included. Does the front metal cap/furrel come with the stock?
No, no hardware comes with it (no ferrule). You will need to drill for screws. Possibly Dremel (sand) a little for the butt-plate to fit right over the little hump it sits on. They are superb stocks however. Strong as a Rhino. Ive done two....

The upper butt-plate screw can be a tough, since it does not attach to anything other than the stock proper. I drilled out a hole for a wood dowel. Glued the dowel in and then drill for the wood screw for the upper hole in the butt-plate.

Other's here have used the wood screw directly in the stock material with success from what they have told me...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, no hardware comes with it (no ferrule). You will need to drill for screws. Possibly Dremel (sand) a little for the butt-plate to fit right over the little hump it sits on. They are superb stocks however. Strong as a Rhino. Ive done two....

The upper butt-plate screw can be a tough, since it does not attach to anything other than the stock proper. I drilled out a hole for a wood dowel. Glued the dowel in and then drill for the wood screw for the upper hole in the butt-plate.

Other's here have used the wood screw directly in the stock material with success from what they have told me...
Thanks, thats good to know.
I am thinking about having a USMC NM style rifle built. This will be a long term project because I am a poor auto tech. I am buying the pieces one at a time. I have a like new SAK op rod, winchester trigger group,and a like new USGI butt plate.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks, thats good to know.
I am thinking about having a USMC NM style rifle built. This will be a long term project because I am a poor auto tech. I am buying the pieces one at a time. I have a like new SAK op rod, winchester trigger group,and a like new USGI butt plate.
They are generally long term projects for most of us. Upwards of a year or more sometimes... Nothing like doing it yourself and getting what you want though....

·
Registered
581 Posts
Save your money and keep both eyes open for a rifle that is already built. I was at a local shop and found a supermatch clone built two years ago, NM components, and with a McMillan woodland camo stock for $1450. The owner of the shop didn't know what it was. You couldn't buy the stock, receiver and barrel alone for that.

JohnMCORPS1

·
Registered
558 Posts
Save your money and keep both eyes open for a rifle that is already built. I was at a local shop and found a supermatch clone built two years ago, NM components, and with a McMillan woodland camo stock for $1450. The owner of the shop didn't know what it was. You couldn't buy the stock, receiver and barrel alone for that.

JohnMCORPS1
That is a good find if the rifle is in good working order and the stock is a genuine McMillan and not damaged somehow and was not ruined by a poor bedding procedure, or the receiver hasn't been "welded" into the stock with the bedding compound or something....

However, the "save your money until you find one in really good condition with good parts and a real McMillan" for $1450, is kind of telling the guy that these are a common thing. They are not...

Yes, there is always a good deal to be found, but that is a rare exception. People who put up the expense for a McMillan stock, usually know what they are doing and know the real cost when they are done. They will also likely be performing match upgrades (premium barrel, etc) so chances are very slim to find one in the $1450 price range, unless the seller is having problems paying his mortgage or something...

Good rifles, particularly well built 14's cost some bucks. Its going to be rare to find one up for sale at such a low price, unless of course something is very wrong with it.

So, Im not saying just go waste your money, but the universal law of "quality costs" pretty much applies to these kinds of things....

One trip to Gunbroker and a look at the prices of SuperMatches with McMillan's is all one needs to see.
And these are Springfield M1A's (not LRB's or Fulton's or Smith's or Armscorp, etc), which, in my honest opinion, get very little "love" put into them these days..

·
Registered
581 Posts
I was trying to say that if he is saving money to buy a rifle, then there may be something that shows up unexpectedly and he can save quite a lot compared to what he thinks he may need to spend.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts