M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive installed hardware on a McMillan fiberglass M1A stock before. You have to do some drilling. For the top screw in the butt-plate I drilled out about a 5/8" hole and installed a dowel, and used a regular M14 Wood Stock screw in there. It all came together really well.

Im doing another stock, McMillan M1A, and just curious what other methods people have used?

I have a special machine screw from Fulton with a nut designed for synthetic stocks for the upper screw of the butt-plate, but dont really know how that works. The threads alone would not hold the material (or wood) and only have some general ideas about implanting the nut (which obviously needs to be implanted somehow), with the help of some bedding compound....

I know I can conjure up a way to do this and make it work, just looking for other thoughts?

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
To be honest all I did was screw my wood screw right into the high density foam. It's holding like a champ. I did first drill a pilot hole a tad bit smaller in diameter than the central part of the wood screw. It was hard getting in nothing a # two screwdriver could not handle. When it got close to being in all the way I made sure to ease up on the torque with the expectation not to strip the foam. Surprisingly I was able to torque it down like it was going into wood. Give it a shot the worse that can happen is you need to go back to your wood dowel method.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest all I did was screw my wood screw right into the high density foam. It's holding like a champ. I did first drill a pilot hole a tad bit smaller in diameter than the central part of the wood screw. It was hard getting in nothing a # two screwdriver could not handle. When it got close to being in all the way I made sure to ease up on the torque with the expectation not to strip the foam. Surprisingly I was able to torque it down like it was going into wood. Give it a shot the worse that can happen is you need to go back to your wood dowel method.
Thanks 82nd. In this case Id have to call Fulton (or someone) and get another "wood" screw, since I just have the machine screw now. Those threads would never hold. When I did the first one, I thought about just using the wood screw in the foam, but wast sure, so went with the dowel glued in there.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Mine was the wood screw and the stock was the mac M1A model. The otherday when you suggested I check out the mcmillan sniper rifle they are selling I read an interesting note on the stock. One that I wish they would do when building the M3A stock or for that matter any stock they make using a QD stud. The studs kn that M40 rifle are, if I read it correctly, are screwed into a metal plate hurried inside the stock! Awhile ago, the same time I bought the accushot monopod for my AR magpul PRS stock I wanted to get one of the monopods that attach to the QD stud, the one made for the M14 stock. I come to find out that on the Mac M3A stock the qd studs are only screwed into the fiberglass and foam. A buddy of mine noexpert did in fact use one on his M3A stock and wound up pulling the qd stud from the stock. He did fix it with JB weld and never had the problem again. I guess what I am saying is I wish they would have used the same metal plate inside all there stocks that use a qd stud. I plan on ordering another stock soon from them. Not sure if it's going to be another M3A or the M2A however I am going to see if it's possible to have the plate installed. Just a tid bit of info I thought I would pass along

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
On the M40A1, yes, its the molded in steel inserts with stud, but as I understand that USMC armorer spec and for the money, they better be keeping within USMC armorer spec. Thats what I want. A real honest to goodness M40A1, even if it wasnt born at Quantico. Its as close as I'll ever get, since originals seem to be going for around $36,000 these days...

I agree on their tactical stocks that thats a good idea if they would just put the steel insert in. Im sure if you ask them they would do it. Im sure you will pay too!

I bought a HTG stock from them before. They asked if I wanted the studs and I got them. The studs were rock solid in there. I think those were just screwed into the foam, too though. I have since sold that rifle. A 300 WSM Model 70...

For the M1A I think since the original screw is for wood for the butt-plate they leave it up to the user's imagination, but would be cool if they did provide a similar means of attachment for the upper butt-plate screw...

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
That wooden dowel should be plenty secure. Thought came to mind, plastic and lead anchors for wood screws come in a variety of shapes and lengths, wouldn't require hogging out as much stock material. JB'd in, the anchor oughtta stay put.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That wooden dowel should be plenty secure. Thought came to mind, plastic and lead anchors for wood screws come in a variety of shapes and lengths, wouldn't require hogging out as much stock material. JB'd in, the anchor oughtta stay put.
Thanks! Right now Im dealing with the machine screw from Fulton with a nut, but you just got me thinking! I used the wood screw on my last one.

Much Appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts