M14 Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Saw a hawk fly off with a snake in his talons from a ditch today, Only the third time I've seen hawks with snakes.
Walked out of the house one morning to feed the chickens, got maybe 20 feet, I see a little bird flying by in front of me at eye level.
Out of nowhere a hawk snatches the little bird up and is gone.
It happened so fast I didn't realize what had happened until looking up to see the hawk with his breakfast up in the sky.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Speaking of birds and food . . . was driving down one of our desolate curvy backroads one day.
In front of me, about 30 feet, beside the road is a gigantic Eagle, maybe 2 or 3 feet tall.
I slowed down to a crawl to watch, the Eagle was eating a rabbit, and never flinched, just kept eating, it was gigantic!
I sat there a while, then the postman came driving up and scared the giant off with . . .
"Hey, ___! What you doing buddy?"
Me: "I was watching a giant Eagle eating a Rabbit."
I've seen a million of Eagles off in the distance but never up close like that.
Did not know they were that big.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Here's one we saw in Canada a few years ago at a zoo park.

View attachment 451479
Nice photo ! Wow!
Is that a mature full grown one? Do you know?
There's a big pond beside this farm . . . actually 66 acres of this farm are under the big pond . . . where a slew of Eagles live, and those big Red Headed Woodpeckers too . . . they live in the "big woods" around the pond.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
I think the eagle is full grown. That's just going off my impression. I can't remember any particular thing from the presentation estimating the age. When they are that big they must be full grown. But not sure if it's a young adult vs an older one.

I like the think the species is doing better these days. We saw one on a trip to Maine a while back and a family member saw one around here in Md. When I was a kid nobody mentioned seeing them around that I can recall. Of course that is not conclusive but I thought I heard it reported they were doing better.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Black snakes will eat/kill smaller rattlesnakes and copperheads. All the old timers at home said so. One old guy told me he'd watched a big black snake fight with and finally swallow a rattle snake while out squirrel hunting down in Fayette County.

Dad always said that's why we never saw copperheads or rattle snakes around home (western Greenbrier County up in the hills away from the rivers. Dad was born and raised there and retired there from the Air Force. Worked the gardens, cut the brush along the creek and hillside above the houses, hunted and ran the woods getting fire wood, mush rooms and ramps for 55 years. Never saw a poisonous snake in that area.

Two tales of how to handle a black snake in your garage. My youngest son had one get in his garage just a few days ago. Big enough to set off his ring camera and alarm on his phone, so he knew it went into the garage. He went out there, grabbed a big broom, moves stuff around till he found it behind some boxes and used the broom to chase it back outside.

The second was told to me by a guy I worked with for years. He said he went out to his garage one day to grab some stuff and saw big black snake on a shelf at the back of the garage. He ran into the house, grabbed his shotgun and some #4 shot and ran back to the garage. The snake was still up on the shelf and a couple #4's later what was left of the snake (and some of the stuff on the shelf) was in the floor bleeding and twitching. About that time he remembered he'd left his new tractor parked behind the garage when he'd finished up mowing earlier that day. He ran around back and (luckily) found the holes made in the siding back there by the #4 shot at 20 ft. from the muzzle were well above the height of his shiny new tractor.

There's reacting and there's over reacting.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
I've done the shooing away with the broom on black snakes around my garage.

I ought to get the tongs though. I tried picking them up with a broom handle but they don't stay. LOL. One day I was so bold as to grab one by the end of the tail but again it wouldn't stay put.

They are easy enough to get close to if you have the right tools for handling.

I wouldn't kill them since they do handle other pests. I just don't want them to get stuck inside and then die and stink up the place. Thst happened to a friend of mine whose little boa got loose in his car on the way home from college one year.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
get a narrow (but stout) piece of pvc that maybe 6' long and drill a hole on one end. tie some para cord on and run it through the pipe. it works like a slipknot on a dog catchers pole. just open the loop and pit it around his head and pull the cord. then take it out in the yard and use a shovel on it. I used to carry one for rattle snakes and sidewinders out on the test sites here in Yuma...

61 - 77 of 77 Posts