M14 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Our house is 90 feet from a 5 acre pond . . . . Moccasins galore! Copperheads around everywhere.
I have heard Blacksnakes will kill other snakes and I've also heard this is not true.
I do not know either way.
What does the M14 guys say about this?
Sounds like high boots, a bamboo pole, and an old revolver with snakeshot are in your future.
I am always armed when out and about here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You must have rats and/or mice for him to want to be in there. Either way, they are good to have around. I recommend you do not kill the non-venomous snakes on your property unless you want to be overrun with rodents chewing up everything on your house and vehicles.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
You must have rats and/or mice for him to want to be in there. Either way, they are good to have around. I recommend you do not kill the non-venomous snakes on your property unless you want to be overrun with rodents chewing up everything on your house and vehicles.
I agree!
I just need him out of the garage for my wife.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I tend to have a zero tolerance policy for anything in my house I didn't put there or invite. That includes 2 legged,4 legged no legged critters . If you come in you get shot, poisoned or trapped it's just that simple.😁 Shoot shovel shut up!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Leave the poor thing alone. If necessary to kill a poisonous snake, if, for example small children may try to touch a "pretty" copperhead. Use a shovel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Opened my garage/shop door the other day and there was a giant Blacksnake.
He scurried away and is still in there.
Last time this happened (I'm out in the country) it was a nightmare getting rid of it.
Ended up shooting up my favorite parts cleaning tray with rat shot.
This time I need to take a more scientific approach.
Anyone here ever had this problem and how did you resolve it?
Thanks!
Black snakes are good to have around especially if you live in the country. They kill rats and mice. He will leave when he gets hungry. They won't hurt you. They'll just make you hurt yourself trying to get away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Years ago when I was in East Africa. Farmers when going to be away from home for a time they would release Gaboon vipers in the house. They are great at keeping mice under control. Of course the premises were posted

·
Registered
119 Posts
We moved to San Antonio 4+ years ago. Our subdivision of 900+ houses, near an ever growing rock quarry (explosions everyday at 1100) could use a visit from St. Patrick! Although I've only seen a Garter Snake in the yard, people living here have posted photos of everything from Texas King Snakes, Copperheads, Moccasins, Rattlesnakes, and Coral Snakes. My wife works in her backyard gardens (flowers and plants that attract butterflies, hummingbirds, and also herbs) so I always caution her to wear gloves and to look before she puts her hands or feet somewhere!

·
Registered
33 Posts
:ROFLMAO:
A couple of days ago I was sitting in the garage chillin with a gar and a barley pop at dusk, when a skunk came up and looked in the door. I was thinking about capping him, but the house was downrange and I didn't have shot rounds in the pistol. Then I thought about how I'd clean it up if I shot it. It looked like he was pondering coming in, but changed his mind and moseyed on.
<whew>
They actually are pretty decent to chat with. Seriously. When I lived in Indiana, I had one show up while I was painting the garage. The little stinker came by every day... I guess it was his food trail. I fed him some bread and a few Strawberries. He continued to come by near every day until I left there to go to CA...Was US NAVY. A buddy of mine had a Vet take one -- about 4 or 5 weeks old... The Vet de-skunked it. Was a NAVY Vet. That guy had that damn Skunk 5 years I know of. It was like a Cat. He was transferred..did not keep in touch. They are much more friendly and cuddly than Cats. By the way....if a Skunk does not have his hind legs on the ground, he can not spray you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Last time this happened (I'm out in the country) it was a nightmare getting rid of it.
Thanks!
Harmless..Good to have around...But make sure he can get out...you may not have a food source for him. We had a huge Bullsnake for about 6 years...Fed it mice.. My kid used to haul it all over the place. Pretty friendly critter. Black friend of mine that was terrified of Snakes.....I made him hold it while I drove to work. The Snake had been crossing the road...it took up the whole lane - left to right. Steve was never afraid of a Snake again. It did bite...but they have tiny teeth. Not long enough to go through the skin..BUT - they aim back. Which means if one bites - DO NOT PULL IT OFF...you will rip your hand open...The Snake cannot do it --YOU do it to yourself. Just use your fingers of the other hand and peel it off... The mice cannot get away because of the way the teeth aim. Great to have around. They will keep the yard clear. ..and a house...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks!
For Pete's sake, blacksnakes are good to have around. They control unwanted rodents and will lessen the chance of having venomous snakes. I live in the wilderness and and have caught one in the house before and put him outside. No big deal. I also have a corn snake living in the kitchen near the water heater. They are good to have around. Don't be such a *****.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,116 Posts
I don't know why anyone wants to shoot snakes. Most are beneficial and harmless to humans. Last month my wife found a snake in the yard and pelted it with rocks before running in to ask for my help. She insisted it was a poisonous corral snake. She didn't know that there are no poisonous snakes in Oregon other than rattle snakes (and no corral snakes). It turned out to be a California King Snake that could have been a big help with the gofers we have in the yard.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks!
DO NOT KILL A BLACKSNAKE!!!
It is NOT dangerous, it eats mice and rats AND OTHER SNAKES, and is VERY beneficial to your surroundings.
Think of it this way: If it is in your garage, there was likely something there that you did NOT want and is no longer in residence.
Leave the Blacksnake be.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Well, it has been a few months since I posted about my Black Snake . . .
So I'm sitting here this morning waiting on my pal to come help me with something, poking around on various forums and such . .
just killing time . . . and what comes zootin' right over top of my foot?
My little Black Snake buddy!
He is a fast one, never saw where he went to.
Guess he's been in here the whole time.
I decided to leave him alone, he likes mice, I hate mice . . .

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thought I was gonna be sitting up there with you know who . . . little guy scarred me so bad . . . good thing I wasn't doing anything but Interest Webbing.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts