M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Ya , unless there is a food source , Rats/mice (they like Lizards too )he was just looking around , just leave the door open & lights on & it should leave on its own . Fast buggers , hard to catch & are defensive if cornered . Down here if they are not venomous , I leave them alone , all venomous die , I spent a couple grand in vet bills from a Pigmy Rattle Snake that bit my Boxer in the Leg , a couple years ago .

·
Forum Jester
7,810 Posts
claymores work

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
We have copper heads here though rattle snakes not around until like west to near Ranger-Abilene. I was putting out layers of powdered agricultural sulphur, but in retrospect methinks that tip was BS as they were still around. I got bit 2 yrs. ago, and was lucky blood test didn't call for A-venom which is damn near $1600.00 around here anyway. I kill them with a mighty wack dead on the head with me biggest shovel. We have kids, grand kids, and our 4 legged kids our German Sheps, sometimes puppies, so I don't give a damn what anyone says. Temps have dropped a bit so not seeing them as much as over mid summer. Dogs have been bit total of 4 times between 3 of them and our new male actually killed one when he was about 15 wks.old, absolutely shredded the thing late spring, but that one was like a ft. and a half long which supposedly makes them even more dangerous. I saw 2 spots on his nose, but he was fine as I watched him. First time our Alpha female who we lost last Jan. that liked to killed me. About 7 yrs. ago I ran her up through every red light to the all night vet ER we're lucky to have here - her blood test didn't show enough antibodies for anti venom like me so the other time we just gave them benadryl. That one I chopped into pieces trying to slither away and the next morning all the pieces were gone either a bobcat, coyotes, or hawks got what was left we think. I hate serpents with a passion anyway. Leftists and snakes. Killed a lot of them over the past years (just snake type so far) and don't see near as many as when we bought the property back in late 1998.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had a milk snake inside the house, so I got a broom and used it to hold him until I could get my $2 China Freight picker and take his ass outside to get all the damned mice we have around here.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Mic52 I agree with you on Copperheads. We have them here in eastern Pa. They have a bad temperament and are hard to see. A Milk Snake will kill a Copperhead. We also have Timber Rattlesnakes but their range does not start till 25 miles north of me.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Just leave the snake alone. When he runs out of food he will cheerfully move on. Try not to run over him, he is a useful form of pest control. I have one about four feet long that lives outside in the yard and I never see any rats or other such critters around. As a matter of fact, I hardly ever see the snake. I do live at the edge of a cypress swamp and sometimes he likes to sunbathe in my little veggie garden. I named him Oscar.

Now, if rattlesnakes or water moccasins show up, they never leave alive.

Just keep your doors closed and make sure he doesn't follow you into your house.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I had a big ol' blacksnake at my old house and the wife would not go out in the backyard. He was really cool and I had zero moles and left him be. Great to have IMB.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Go down to the local pet store & buy one them Norwegian Hamsters that the Crazy boys feed their Pythons & tie a string around it. Then drag it around until the snake comes outta his hiding spot & starts to chase it. Then lead him over to your neighbor's garage or tie the string to the school bus tomorrow morning.
Problem solved!
Next problem please...

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Our house is 90 feet from a 5 acre pond . . . . Moccasins galore! Copperheads around everywhere.
I have heard Blacksnakes will kill other snakes and I've also heard this is not true.
I do not know either way.
What does the M14 guys say about this?

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Our house is 90 feet from a 5 acre pond . . . . Moccasins galore! Copperheads around everywhere.
I have heard Blacksnakes will kill other snakes and I've also heard this is not true.
I do not know either way.
What does the M14 guys say about this?
Sounds like high boots, a bamboo pole, and an old revolver with snakeshot are in your future.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts