M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, just recently picked up a Mauser M96 chambered in 6.5x55 Swede for the collection. It's been sporterized (Scope, turned bolt handle, Butler Creek synthetic stock). I thought the deal was too good to pass up, and I've been looking for a bolt-action rifle to put in the gun case. I just had a couple questions, maybe a little advice if you have any to offer...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand my Mauser is a small-ring rifle and can't withstand the higher chamber pressures of modern cartridge loadings, or isn't as desirable for building off of. I would like to re-barrel to a heavier contour, possibly keeping the 6.5 round as I have 100 rounds or so of ammo and the ability to reload, but maybe going to a .308 chambering. I'd like to build a long range gun that also serves as a deer dropper should I ever find time to be able to hunt. Does anybody know what the receiver can withstand? I've been researching, and will continue to research, but figured I'd drop by and ask a little advice. Thanks!

Oh, and pics... almost forgot!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I would not recommend you re-barreling it to .308 Win, yes it has been done before and even with 30.06 cal. The working pressure for the 6.5 Swede is 46,000 CUP and the .308 is 52,000 CUP.

There is nothing wrong with the 6.5X55 Swede caliber for competition or hunting, fact, it is one of the most sought after bolt actions rifles for high power competitions; the model CG-63. The accuracy of the 6.5 Swede is greater than the .308
In 1999 British Benchcrest shooter shot a10 round group of 4.4" at 1000 yards; the rifle was built by Tikka caliber 6.5X55

Search Shotgun News articles written about 6 to 7 years ago called "Mauser" they have a four page write up on the Swede CG-63 called "A Swede Invades The Range" it has Balistic coefficient comparison to the .308 and it beats the .308

Is that a Carl Gustafs, Oberndorf or a Husqvarna? Of the three manufactured Husqvarna has the hardest metal and the only one that I believe may handle the 308's pressure and last.

You can try ER Shaw for barrels they run about $180 shipped, threaded and short or long chambered.
Sporter Express has Lothar Walther barrels but they run about $225 threaded and long chambered.
Or you can try MidwayUSA for an Adams & Bennett in 6.5 varmint barrel blank for $89.99; there is guy who works on Mausers and can chamber, thread and finish ream it for $85, he is in Oregon though, it will cost you around $50 shipping round trip.

That's a nice looking rifle, I would shot it first then make a decision. Normally those Swede's are accurate.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply BrokenVet... It's a Carl Gustaf action. I've spent the better part of the afternoon researching options on this and have pretty much gathered .308 Winchester generates too much pressure to be considered safe on the small-ring action. Soooo, I'll leave it at 6.5x55 for now. I've heard/read plenty of good stuff on that round, and found some reloading recipes to play with. Once I get some decent weather or another day off to go to the indoor range, I'll put a few rounds down range and see how she shoots. I should probably know that before I jump in and start changing everything lol...

I'd still like to re-barrel to a heavier contour and change the stock to a wooden stock, but we'll see what happens once I get some range time...

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
i agree with broken vet. swede 1896's are well made rifles, with quality steel, but it is best to stick with rounds like the 6.5x55 or 7x57. they have been turned into .308's, and others, but i believe you are pushing your luck running these higher pressure cartridges through the small ring action.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the Swede Mauser

USN2

Generally, the Mauser 96 is a very strong action compared to other Mauser 93 type actions. Kimber of Oregon a few years ago was building rifles chambered for .30-06 and as far as I know, never had problems with them. Swede Steel was superior to German steel and other license built Mausers, thus they are very strong. I have a M-38 sporter 1941 that I converted to a mountain rifle..I kept it as a 6.5mm (and kept the old military barrel) it is very, very effective on white tail deer.

Every bolt action owner should have a 6.5 x 55 in his gun safe. Why do you think the ..260 came about? They saw a good thing....the 6.5 bullet....

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
USN2

Generally, the Mauser 96 is a very strong action compared to other Mauser 93 type actions. Kimber of Oregon a few years ago was building rifles chambered for .30-06 and as far as I know, never had problems with them. Swede Steel was superior to German steel and other license built Mausers, thus they are very strong. I have a M-38 sporter 1941 that I converted to a mountain rifle..I kept it as a 6.5mm (and kept the old military barrel) it is very, very effective on white tail deer.

Every bolt action owner should have a 6.5 x 55 in his gun safe. Why do you think the ..260 came about? They saw a good thing....the 6.5 bullet....
they never converted the 96 to 30-06, .308 yes, but the 96 action is not physically long enough for the -06.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts