M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the parts are all 2 digit matching it appears to be a pre-war commercial Mauser. The “straw” or golden hued case hardened parts ended around mid 1937. So it is likely pre-war. Also “Mauser” is embossed on the firearm which were made for the commercial civilian market. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t used during the war.

If the is no import mark it could likely be a vet “bring back”.

( I’m no expert but have just enough knowledge to be “dangerous“.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
If it were made under military contract rather than stamped “Mauser” such a Mauser would be stamped S/42. The military used codes rather than makers’ names.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hello in response to your question, the luger is a 1942 Mauser Banner Commercial sale luger. They made these from 1937-1942, by the Muaser factory right along with the military and Police contract lugers. These will have all the same factory marking but NO Waffenamt or Police proof, as they were no a military contract pistol. The production numbers for these commercial model was fairly small 200-500 per year, as I recall. Some were actually sold on the German commercial market with many/most sold to friendly (i.e Nazi supported) countries. I have had a couple of these in the past and I even had a 1945 dated K98 Comercial Mauser rifle once. The rifles are really rare looks just like a standard military K98 byf/45 markings however on the underside of the barrel was the name of the gun shop where it was assembled and sold. On the luger If all matching and having original blue finish they can bring good money, not as much as the military or police models, but still desirable as a WWII luger. regards

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello in response to your question, the luger is a 1942 Mauser Banner Commercial sale luger. They made these from 1937-1942, by the Muaser factory right along with the military and Police contract lugers. These will have all the same factory marking but NO Waffenamt or Police proof, as they were no a military contract pistol. The production numbers for these commercial model was fairly small 200-500 per year, as I recall. Some were actually sold on the German commercial market with many/most sold to friendly (i.e Nazi supported) countries. I have had a couple of these in the past and I even had a 1945 dated K98 Comercial Mauser rifle once. The rifles are really rare looks just like a standard military K98 byf/45 markings however on the underside of the barrel was the name of the gun shop where it was assembled and sold. On the luger If all matching and having original blue finish they can bring good money, not as much as the military or police models, but still desirable as a WWII luger. regards
Thanks, I'm starting to like better and better, Probably will pick it up this weekend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just Fyi like a previous post, everything on value depends on it have all matching numbers on the various parts. The major components, frame barrel and barrel extension all have the full primary SN while the remaining parts usually have the last two digits to include the firing pin, breech block/toggle assy, numbered inside. Id you dont know how to disassemble it's easy no tools required but check the internet so you're knowledgable. Always clear the pistol first, I can't tell you how many I have seen or checked that were still loaded, be safe, It may or may not have a matching magazine if it does that's plus, if not it like the other millions in this country. The finish should be a blue/black finish since it s a 42 date with clear sharp markings, (which looks correct in the pic) On these commercial models the small parts, take down level, safety and trigger should be straw colored, or even a silvery color if its faded, good luck, I bought my first Luger when I was 15 and I turn 68 next month and I still like them!! Still fun to shoot

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Also a note...is the luger 7.65x21mm or 9x19mm? Ammo for the 7.65 is harder to find. Mine is 9mm and I reload "light" loads so as not to damage the pistol.

Reactions: Gator 4570

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts