M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a soft spot in my heart for the country of Chile as it is the home country of my wife. I therefore started collecting Chilean military rifles.

Finally got around to taking some pics of my all-matching (even the cleaning rod!) Mauser Chileno I picked up a while ago. This rifle will be celebrating its 120th birthday next year! Cycling the action, it still amazes me how smooth it is. Probably the smoothest action out of any rifle I own. I don't know how those Germans did it, especially in the 19th century, but this rifle IS a work of art.

Sorry to report, but I haven't shot this yet. GI3

Enjoy!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chile

Not to derail your thread, but where in Chile is your wife from ? I spent a good amount of time there in HS and college - mostly around Pucon/Villarrica in the Lake Region, IX Région.

Beautiful, beautiful country. It's definitely where I'd live if I ever left the states.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to derail your thread, but where in Chile is your wife from ? I spent a good amount of time there in HS and college - mostly around Pucon/Villarrica in the Lake Region, IX Région.

Beautiful, beautiful country. It's definitely where I'd live if I ever left the states.
Pucon/Villarica.... BANANA1 When I retire, that's where I want to go.

I visited Pucon on my very first trip down to Chile... In fact, I climbed Vulcan Villarica which was/is an active volcano. Nothing like the smell of sulfur in the morning!

Here's a photo nearby Pucon I took on that trip. Absolutely amazing out there.

However, my wife is from Santiago (she has a good college friend who grew up in Villarica). Ever get a chance to head down there? I try to go about once (twice if I'm lucky) a year. Here are some more pics I've taken down there.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Wow. Awesome all around. Rifle and country!
Thanks for all the pics.

Deuces

Reactions: Duce

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pucon/Villarica.... BANANA1 When I retire, that's where I want to go.

I visited Pucon on my very first trip down to Chile... In fact, I climbed Vulcan Villarica which was/is an active volcano. Nothing like the smell of sulfur in the morning!

Here's a photo nearby Pucon I took on that trip. Absolutely amazing out there.

However, my wife is from Santiago (she has a good college friend who grew up in Villarica). Ever get a chance to head down there? I try to go about once (twice if I'm lucky) a year. Here are some more pics I've taken down there.
I spent 6 months in Villarica/Pucon when I was 16 (back in 2002) as an exchange student. I went back when I was 18 for a month as well.

I was fortunate to see pretty much everything (as is possible in 6 months) between Arica (far, far north) and Coyhaique (north Patagonia) and also Laguna de San Rafael. The country has an embarrassment of riches and hard working, friendly people.

Now you're making me rethink spending money on a new AR when I could make a trip down to Chile...

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spent 6 months in Villarica/Pucon when I was 16 (back in 2002) as an exchange student. I went back when I was 18 for a month as well.

I was fortunate to see pretty much everything (as is possible in 6 months) between Arica (far, far north) and Coyhaique (north Patagonia) and also Laguna de San Rafael. The country has an embarrassment of riches and hard working, friendly people.

Now you're making me rethink spending money on a new AR when I could make a trip down to Chile...
I've been as far north as La Serena and the Elqui Valley, and as far south as Puerto Montt and Chiloe.

Last year I spent five weeks taking immersion language classes in Santiago. I wish I were fluent, but far from it. Learning a new language at my age just isn't easy. But I'm getting there. Funny thing is hearing from others who speak Spanish up here that I have a Chilean accent. GI2

I'd talk about Chilean wine, but that's a subject for another thread.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
It was a dirty selling trick of Mauser. At that time they wanted to aquire high volume commisions from abroad and produced their rifles to an outstanding quality to impress their customers. I shot a beautiful Argentino Mauser from 1908 in 7x57 today. And I was impressed. If you take into acount that there was no CNC machining at that time you should put the bolt behind glass.

Reactions: Duce

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Chilean Mauser is one of the most accurate rifles in my extensive collection. Pretty amazing for a rifle so old that the BATF doesn't even consider it a gun.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Do they all shoot Three feet high?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts