M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great time at my first match today! I shot 82 in the standing and 87 in the sitting rapid. Then it was time for the 300 rapid. I got in a good stable position and things were going very well. Suddenly, after firing my fifth shot, my extractor decided to fly off into no man's land!

I was unable to complete my 300 rapid but I still shot very well. I was well on my way to cleaning the target. I scored 3 10s and two X's. I thought it was going to be out for the rest of the match. But the way that they were running things it turns out that I ended up shooting the last relay at the 600 yard line.

The match Cordinator agreed to allow me to take an extractor from one of the range club Garands. I was able to complete the 600 yard prone. At the end of the day I had six saved rounds. Out of 20 shooters I placed fifth with a Final score of 387-5 X.

The match winner was shooting an AR 15 and scored 423-1X.

A more detailed report will follow sometime tonight. Thanks to everybody who gave me advice before I shot today.

Tony

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Good shoot'n tex USN2

Reactions: tonyben

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,631 Posts
Great job Tony...

DI5

·
Super Moderator
11,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! It was very hard to shake if off, especially once I got to the pits and saw my target. I was so consumed with finding my extractor, I forgot to look through the spotting scope while they were scoring. It wasn't until I got to the pits and saw the pasties over my holes that I saw my score.

They were running it differently than I've ever seen. I pulled pits first and after first relay shot 200 rapid, we changed duties and I went to the 200 and they pulled pits. Then we went to 300 and when we were done, we switched pit duties and that's when I saw my target. We pulled pits until they were done with 600 and we went and did the last relay.

The coordinator literally handed me a hot Garand from the first relay and said I could use the extractor. It was either that or rent a club rifle for the last relay.

Tony.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You left out the most important part.

I believe you may have the first broken SAI extractor while shooting rapid at 3 in a match and posting about it. Most of those extractors fail way before then.

So, did you enjoy it? Will you be coming back for seconds?

I shot today, and with the exception of a displaced head when shooting offhand, did pretty well (for me). I lost my front sight focus on prone about halfway through but still squeaked out a 184. Ended with 430-something.

Shooting the 88 shot course tomorrow if I can wake up at 430.

Tony, if your not manhandling the AR winner by a couple matches…well…

I am an 88 shot match away from leaving marksman!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Really glad to see you taking part in the shooting game/High Power, for unfortunately it is a dying sport with many younger shooters just not interested in participating these days.
It's not so much that there are no shooters showing up at the ranges, but invariably most are sitting at the bench with bags and some sort of 100 power optics sitting on top of the rifle and blazing away at a 100yd. target. Whatever floats your boat but until you learn the skills required to shoot in various positions and various distances w/ issue sights you really miss out on learning just what you and the rifle are capable of doing marksmanship wise. There certainly is a place and time for optics but the optics mfg.'s have for years sold the concept that the scopes they sell make your rifle more accurate. Really?? It's the "trigger puller" that brings out the inherent accuracy of the rifle with whatever type of sight being used. If you have not learned your "come ups" for elevation and how to adjust for the wind a $4,000.00 scope is of little if any value to you. After a few matches you will know your come ups and wind adjustment and that knowledge can be utilized with whatever sight you are using, irons or optics. Other for initial sight in I would encourage staying off that bench and when inexperienced shooters tell me that they are getting ready for a deer, bear, etc. hunt I mention to them that a bench is heavy and hard to drag around in the woods. Again glad to see you enjoyed the match and trust me in the matches to follow there will be other "oh sh*t" events take place but after a while you will take those in stride and improve greatly over time. Keep'em in the black!!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Was it a CMP Match or NRA? 50 shot is 10 offhand 10 sitting Rapid, 10 prone rapid and 20 prone slow right? The only 50 match I ever shot in was a CMP Leg match and I basically shot in it that day to help boost the point values for the guys that were trying to leg out.

Anyway, welcome to Highpower match shooting... fun ain't it? USNA.

·
Super Moderator
11,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, it was fun and I am hooked! They invited me out for the next match in December. I think it's a belly match and it's all at 100 yards.

Here's what was waiting for me when I got to the pits after firing 300...

Pits...

Line...

This poor kid had taken the Garand class the day before but being a southpaw, he could not safely master the reload with the Garand so they rented him a club AR instead.

By the way, the age ranges for the match were 24 t0 71 years old. A lot of these guys were shooting rented Garands and there were a couple of M1A's.

I was actually paying much more attention to the wind flags this time as well as consistent cheek weld/head placement and it showed. I was actually making windage calls and adjustments and they were landing about where I expected them to. With one save round at 600, I tied the high score on the 600yd line. Most of the guys were firing Garands, there were four M14/M1A's and 2 AR15's.

I'm wondering if I need to replace my extractor spring. My extractor was a GI extractor in a GI bolt. I'll have to measure the spring and see. Anyone ever have this happen to a GI bolt/extractor? I was shooting 168's loaded to 2.812".

Overall I'd say I can expect to shoot somewhere in the 420 to 450 range next time.

Tony.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Man, that extractor thing would bother me mentally sooo much from that point on, I'd have to replace it.

Genuinely looks like a good time was had. Do you have a pic of your gear set up like mat, scope, etc?

·
Super Moderator
11,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man, that extractor thing would bother me mentally sooo much from that point on, I'd have to replace it.

Genuinely looks like a good time was had. Do you have a pic of your gear set up like mat, scope, etc?
That's me in the green pants, black shirt and the desert camo booney hat.

Tony.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Really glad to see you taking part in the shooting game/High Power, for unfortunately it is a dying sport with many younger shooters just not interested in participating these days.
It's not so much that there are no shooters showing up at the ranges, but invariably most are sitting at the bench with bags and some sort of 100 power optics sitting on top of the rifle and blazing away at a 100yd. target. Whatever floats your boat but until you learn the skills required to shoot in various positions and various distances w/ issue sights you really miss out on learning just what you and the rifle are capable of doing marksmanship wise. There certainly is a place and time for optics but the optics mfg.'s have for years sold the concept that the scopes they sell make your rifle more accurate. Really?? It's the "trigger puller" that brings out the inherent accuracy of the rifle with whatever type of sight being used. If you have not learned your "come ups" for elevation and how to adjust for the wind a $4,000.00 scope is of little if any value to you. After a few matches you will know your come ups and wind adjustment and that knowledge can be utilized with whatever sight you are using, irons or optics. Other for initial sight in I would encourage staying off that bench and when inexperienced shooters tell me that they are getting ready for a deer, bear, etc. hunt I mention to them that a bench is heavy and hard to drag around in the woods. Again glad to see you enjoyed the match and trust me in the matches to follow there will be other "oh sh*t" events take place but after a while you will take those in stride and improve greatly over time. Keep'em in the black!!
Said a mouthful there....there is a HUGE difference shooting these iron sights when trying to center the group. I've shot HP silhouette for many years, spotter marks your strike, base on call click left/right up/down 1/4min clicks, wonder of leupold...and next shot goes? check mirage.
NOW ...M1s I'm totally inexperienced, Sat match shots going low/right...click up, click left...between sight alignment, trigger management, and inconsistency in position...they STILL went low/right. This game has a steep learning curve.
Thanks for all yalls input...it helps.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Looks like you had fun! GI1

Here you were complaining about your "yoga mat" but I see you have spotting scope. GI2 I bought a cheaper mat on sale...but its gonna be a while before I pick up a scope. Im SOOOO new myself, and struggling with rifle issues right now, but Im REALLY looking forward to more of this type of shooting. I love the challenge. Only done one "match" myself, but Im hooked! Almost considering seeing just how far I can get withOUT a jacket. GI5

1 - 20 of 28 Posts