M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if it is a worthwhile to get a match stock to put on my std m1a. One stock i've looked at is from a 90s stock with no bedding. Do i need to bed it in order to achieve its benefit? If i dont bed it, is it just a waste? Thanks.

·
Registered
14,796 Posts
Sometimes you get lucky, and a standard wood stock will provide all the benefits of one that is properly bedded. However, the wood fibers will eventually compress and you are right back where you started.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Match stock? Forgive my ignorance , I assume thicker and stiffer?
I have an M1A older one with a super fat stock (heavy) that I assume would be designed for match shooting just wondering what constitutes a match stock.

·
Registered
14,796 Posts
I consider a Match stock to be anything better than USGI service stocks. "Thicker and Heavier" is usually where these start, but their ability to accept the match grade modifications is the important thing (bedding, draw pressure, etc.)

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
It seems to be unpopular for most, but I really like the medium-weight Boyds stock that came with my SAI. I considered sanding it down for more of a GI profile, but I didn't want to compromise the draw pressure on the front band.

After all these years of looking at what's available out there... the only stock I would consider over a Boyds would be a McMillan.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,732 Posts
Prior to contracting for oversized NM stocks, the military specified stocks used on NM rifles should have straight grain in the forearm and preferably the wood should extend below the stock ferrule 1/8" to 1/4" if available. Birch wood was acceptable if walnut was not available. The big red stocks came closest to this specification. The idea was to have a very stiff forearm to prevent flexing from recoil and sling tension. I've noted that there were a lot of NM rifles in stocks that were not up to this spec. Boyds' standard M1A stocks are completely acceptable for NM builds, even when using heavy barrels. The choice of standard or oversized is completely up to the preference of the user. Late GI NM stocks, inletted for bedding and rear lugs are not suitable for use without glass bedding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.