M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be pointless to put a match stock ferrule on my SOCOM? I've done just about every accuracy upgrade that I can to it, so this may be the last one. Other than bedding it of course.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm getting about 2-2.5" groups at 100 yards. I know the SOCOM isn't designed to be long range. I'm hitting steel silhouettes out to 400 meters and I want to try to push it to 5.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a USGI fiberglass. It's not as tight as my wood stock but the trigger lock up is tighter.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Reinforce the front end and it would make a lot more sense

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shot my last group with 165 grain Hornady Outback ammunition. They are soft point game kings I do believe. That was a earlier this month getting ready to take some white tail this season.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
I'd confirm whether you have any GC interference. Fiberglass is not going to swell from heat like a wood stock.

If no GC interaction than I would just grease the front band-ferrule interface and be done with it.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Hey JD,

What's the best tools to use for a fiberglass stock NM ferrule mod???

For walnut or birch I use a rasp and die grinder on a rheostat to clearance the GC. Not sure about working with fiberglass.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
J I'm sure there's something better but I use a end grinder & various files......

Don Chatam, an old USMC match armorer, showed me a neat little trick..... Don takes a quarter & after centering it up traces around it using a scribe, cut the bottom half out then blend the sides & it looks identical to a real GI NM furrel

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd confirm whether you have any GC interference. Fiberglass is not going to swell from heat like a wood stock.

If no GC interaction than I would just grease the front band-ferrule interface and be done with it.
What do you mean by GC interference? As far as the stock contacting the GC?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I worked with Don and soon became friends with him, I had been building rifles for years when we met but I still learned something new on a daily basis!

The amount of knowledge the man has is simply amazing

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
What do you mean by GC interference? As far as the stock contacting the GC?
Yes.

Part of the front end mod is to clearance this area. Basically, relieve it some back past the first screw in the sling loop fitting.

If the stock swells from heat and you get GC contact it throws off your POI.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes.

Part of the front end mod is to clearance this area. Basically, relieve it some back past the first screw in the sling loop fitting.

If the stock swells from heat and you get GC contact it throws off your POI.
Thank you I will check this out and let you know of my results

1 - 17 of 17 Posts