M14 Forum banner

Match Report

792 4
Well, if it seems like I haven't written one of these in a while, its 'cause its been a while since I've gone to any matches. This was the fifth weekend in a row that its rained, and eigth this year. :? However, this last three weekends I've been kicking myself, as the rain cleared up early Sunday morning each time, so they held the matchs those days. :oops: Needless to say, the boys teased me a bit about not having been there in a while. Of course, I was able to tease a couple of them back, because last match I shot was the sub-freezing and windy one when all but five of us wimped out and went home after shooting the awfulhand stage. ;) This time was a pretty small turn out, too, with only six of us. I guess most folks figured last night that it would either still be raining or too muddy, or both. It was pretty swampy out, but thats why God invented boots. 8)

I found out, belatedly, that it was supposed to be a Garand match today, but that they postponed it becuase they anticipated a low turnout. Since I missed both the e-mail last week announcing the Garand match and the one yesterday postponing it, I was good to go in terms of rifle and ammo. At least one shooter missed the e-mail yesterday and showed up with a '03 and no ammo. :oops: Not to worry, as someone was able to lown him some. I was the only one with an M14 type rifle today, in what turned into an even more informal match than the pretty laid back and informal matchse we normally shoot.

I didn't have any really stellar stages, as I was feeling a bit rusty and was having a hard time getting my zero. However, I didn't blow any of the stages, which is what I normally do just before or after I shoot a really good stage, so my overall score ended up being pretty good for me. I shot 171x1 standing, 189x3 sitting (86x0 on the first string, which was low and the right, and 100x3 on the second string 8) ), 186x3 rabid prone (89x0 on the first string, which was off to left and had a lot of verticle stringing, and 97x3 on the second string), and a 178x1 on the slow prone for a total of 724x8. All in all a good day of shooting.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good day at the range. Any day at the range is enjoyable for me, even the days that I don't shoot as well. It would be nice if I knew some other M14 shooters in my area. That's when you really improve your shooting skills and knowledge. I have several shooting partners, but none own a M14.

Joe A.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,620 Posts
Glad to hear you got some range time in, even if it was swampy. Respectable scores for having zeroing problems. How did the guy with the 03 do? Seems like everything worked out, you got to work out some kinks when the turnout was low :D ; ought to give you a leg up for next match.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, two shooters had '03s, the one who didn't come with any ammo and the guy who lent him ammo. Since it was such an informal match, the both cheated and shot slow prone while we all standing. They both switched to space guns once we moved to the 300yd line. The guy that only had an '03 and no ammo borrowed yet another shooter's space gun and some ammo for the prone stages. Its good to have friends with lots of guns and ammo.

I think part of my zeroing problem is because I've been playing around a bit trying to improve my sitting position and a small part was that I forgot to bring my big tripod with me today. :oops: I normally keep a lot of my shooting gear in the trunk of my wife's car, which I drive to matches because it gets better gas mileage than my fuel hog. For the awfulhand, the guy next to me spotted me for the first few rounds and then I shot the rest of the string blind, so I no feedback for each round to tell me if I was holding solid or wandering around.

I was able to use my short tripod for the sitting by setting it up in front of me and contorting to bend down and check my shots. I couldn't see my first two sighters, but had the rifle zeroed where I normally do for sitting. I figured I must have shot high into the 8 ring, so I dropped a click and crossed my fingers. Turns out that I must have been canting my rifle a bit, because the first string was low and the right centered on the outer edge of the 9 ring at 5:00. I corrected and was able to clean the second string, though.

On the rapid prone, my first sighter was low and to the right and my second, after making a sight adjustment, was in the 9 ring at 10:00. Since I usually tend to wander down and to the right when shooting rapid fire, I decided to leave the sights where they were. Low and behold, I ended up shooting the first string all off to the left. Again, I managed to correct it a bit for the second string.

In the slow prone, my target was really wrinkled and a bit loose on the target frame (no one to blame but me, as I was the one who stapled it up :oops:) so I had a really hard time picking out the bullet holes from the wrinkles. My first round was a 7 @ 11:00 and then I overcorrected and shot a [email protected]:00. I couldn't tell where the next five or so rounds went until the both the light and wind shifted a bit, and then I saw that they were still a bit low. I corrected again and got an X, then couldn't tell where I was hitting again for a few rounds untill the light and wind shifted again and I saw that I was hitting a bit high and to the left. :? Aftter that, I couldn't tell which rounds were fresh and which were the ones that I'd fired earlier, if I could see any of the holes at all, so I just hoped my sights were close enough and finished up the string without bothering to check my scope. I was happty to just break 170 on that string.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
:D Good Shooting Joe, I got your Voicemail I'll call you later, someone called Mike last Night and told him that the whole Match was cancelled, may be thats why you had a low turnout! :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.