M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the most popular barrels? I know majority of barrel makers but like example the 6 groove douglas barrel 1/10 vs the 4 groove one,which is better for accuracy? I want to put a heavy barrel or at least med weight in the m14 after the trade is done and want ideas. Right now the douglas is 210 for 4groove and 240.00 for 6 groove,so does that make 6 groove better? I know down through time say m700 rifle was 5 grooove douglas in veitnam from what i read and a lot of people like mike rock barrels which are 5 groove. Brand matters but i am curious about the groove what it plays since theres not much on that that i have read. Hart be nice. Not seen any deals and i am shoping on the cheap side evan though i believe you get what you pay for. What good results you got with what barrels? twist. I don't want 1/12, i rather have 1/11 or 1/10. Like to try 1/11 though. Any own super match m1a and how is it shooting with what barrel and what all was done to gun and ammo used?

·
Banned
611 Posts
with handloads carefully tuned to it I can put round after round through the same hole at 100 yards with mine. It's the 1-10 6 groove. I do a lot of long range hunting and love it. It likes cast bullets a lot too!

·
Banned
611 Posts
Yeah, sorry. It's a douglas. It's a army demil too. Used. I doubt it was used much as the throat was perfect for a match barrel and muzzle too. But it was in a barrel full of them and some had a front half of a m-14 attached still. SAD! :cry: But I picked out a few of the best ones and it headspaced on my norinco perfect and has since been the best shooter I ever owned or used. I had already converted my norinco to all gi parts a few years earlier.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CMP is 200.00 for douglas 1/10 twist and theres no mention of # of grooves. On Champions Choice its a 6groove 1/10 douglas for 240.00. The 4 groove 1/10 is 240.00 but out of stock. 6 groove is what i want i think. Anyone know the # grooves in the m14 douglas 1/10 match barrel CMP sales?

·
Registered
Sniper, Tactical and Long Range
37 Posts
Bravo2 CMP's Douglas are 6 groove and there Hart's are too if they still have them.. the plus's are they are chambered , at least all the one's I got and came into time with about a 1.631 chamber.. instead of being .050 short like the others.. the minus's ,, no handguard clip grooves and no gas port hole drilled and no op rod guide installed like the others will have..... So Champ's or Brownells may well be a better deal.. Good luck Ram

·
Banned
611 Posts
The ones from cmp are not a good deal unless you got some bucks to spend getting it installed. I know I charge a lot more for all that work. It's not the same as a normal rebarrel job. I bet cmp got them a whole lot cheaper than they are selling them for too with all that unfinnished work on them. Sounds like a rip off. Find one that just needs chambered. Well it's a little more involved than that sometimes but at least it won't have to be milled and drilled and a guide installed if you get one the way it's sopposed to come.

·
Registered
406 Posts
OK Bravo 2, I have an M1A pre ban (Hence the name) with a 1-10 Douglas. TRW bolt and other USGI parts. Rifle was built to USMC specs. by an armorer. Bedded, unitised (sp) gas cyl, reamed flashhider, ect,ect and the rifle shoots like a house on fire. One day a friend of mine who is a bench rest shooter decided that he wanted to try my gas gun. We went out to the bench and he fired 3 rounds of his BR handloads. As he looked through his spotting scope at 200 yards, he remarked that he knew these @#*$ rifles wouldn't shoot, one shot in the black, the rest off the paper. When we went down to get the target, we found all three to be on paper, in the same hole. :D He ordered one the next day...Mike

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MIAPREBAN,I hope you got handload data,lol. I would be wanting it. What is it and maybe i willl give it a try to see what it would do. You know your chamber what its sized at? Who built yours? I need to learn more about the unitized gas cylinder. Did you get heavy or med heavy barrel?

·
Registered
406 Posts
OK, we are going back to 1982. The rifle was barreled at Springfield Armory, Inc. The reciever was manufactured for Springfield by a guy named Mel Smith (Valley Ord.) in Penn. I got to know someone in the back room of Springfield and this is what I was told. I sent them a TRW bolt and they sent me barreled and headspaced reciever. I also got from them a one piece gas cyl(put together with countersunk screws) and a NM flashhider which I mounted later. I got a guy named Carl Lesisinger (See Major Stuph) on the NJ high power website to bed and assemble the rifle. I assume the chamber is to USGI specs. USGI NM sights, and everything I could find. After firing about 150-200 rounds, the barrel settled down and the rifle came alive. My personal handloads with this rifle are 40.5-41.5 gr. 4895 with a SMK 168 bullet. I did notice my BR friend was using the same bullet but was seated a little long to fit in the magazine. I assume the rifle shot well with the bullets touching the rifling. I tried the same seating for my 600 yr. prone firing with great results. I forgot to add (hence the post) that this was a heavy barrel. Hope this helps, Mike

·
Registered
406 Posts
M14dan, you don't have any leftovers from that "barrel of barrels" do you...Mike

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called champions Choice to verify what i read and for the 240.00 price its installed! Thats dang good and they are only 2 hrs or tad more from me,lol. So i am buying a 1/10 6groove barrel douglas for my m14.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Bravo 2, if it shoots like mine, I don't think you will be disappointed. And they have only gone up $25.00 in the last 17 years(if my memory serves me correctly) compaired to other M1A/M-14 parts. From what I can remember, those pepole there at CC are also good to deal with...Mike

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is your chamber dem? I'm curious ,guy said but not really caught what he said they did dem chamber wise? I do know i like to do the double screw in gas block deal the unitized(?) gas chamber deal,still not sure what all that is about. I read about shims or welding. I just hate to buy another gasblock unless its absolute neccesary to gain accuracy, like to convert mine over if usgi. Sami spec is what they said.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am quite sure that yours could be converted. Probably someone on here could steer you that way. I cannot tell you about the chamber dimensions all I know is that it was a Douglas Heavy Barrel, 1-10 Twist, for the M-14/M1A. I would suppose that Douglas is still chambering them the same way...Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.