M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's up with the southern thing of iced tea in a mason jar? Its actually quite simple. Old days a pint was the largest glass in a household but a mason jar would hold a quart. So was an honor to get iced tea in a mason jar when visiting someone. Same with lemonade.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
A few years back, I was exposed to the Japanese idea of making ice tea by infusing their green tea in refrigerated water for hours and hours, often overnight. Is that how the Southern mason jar version works, or do you start with regular tea made with boiling water and then chill it down?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Sun Tea brewed on the deck railing.....and straight to a mason jar full of ice...best thing ever with cast iron skillet chicken, and cast iron dutch oven biscuits.......unless the biscuits were replaced with cast iron pan corn bread....

.....oh and that clear stuff aint too bad to tilt back a shot or two in a mason jar around the fire pit on a fall night.....; )

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Tradition.........

My roots are in the South.......... Sun tea is brewing in the Pacific Northwest.....

Add a little lemonade and call it "Arnold Palmer"..... Ummmmmmm

Hobo

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Oh yeah, you guys have the sun down there. I recall the sun now you've said it, saw it once, remember it well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I make 2 jars almost every day. Put a tea bag in a quart jar with water and put in the sun for about 3 hrs. Use the "family size" bags.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'm thirsty.... The wife makes sun tea. Love it, she has a gallon glass sun tea jar and puts 4 or 5 family size Lipton bags in it for the afternoon.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sun tea with alittle honey added. Sometimes the white stuff added but not alot.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
We use the half gallon jars for tea or fruit infused water. Sun brewed is the best.

Sweet tea, cast iron skillets, pretty women, and the CMP. Best things about the south.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two things about sun tea. First, doesn't use energy. Second, doesn't heat up & add humidity to the kitchen.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,712 Posts
I have a gallon out back right now, I can get it about 120° because our back porch faces west, I have seen 130° in the afternoon because there is a 10' block wall between us and the neighbors and it holds in the heat.
When I make my sun tea I like to put 3-4 bags of Lipton and 1 bag of "Earl grey" tea, it makes a good flavored tea. We don't drink sweet tea but I keep a squeeze bottle of simple syrup for when friends come over, it mixes in faster then sugar and tastes good.

Casey

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
ive dound tazo brand taste least lile sewage.

the english breakfast type makes for good southern style tea.

i usually hot brew with three bags , allow to cool then on ice.

they say tea is bad in hot weather but thats all mountaineers drank back im the day

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
My wife recently got a big glass drink container with a tap on it. We make sun tea 3 gallons at a time now. I buy store brand tea bags for about $4 for 80 bags. Half go in a batch, so it costs about $2 for those 3 gallons.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,712 Posts
There's something about tea leaching Iron or potassium from your body.
Any body know any thing about it?

Casey

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
My mom used to make sun brewed mint tea in the summer when I was a kid. We would pick a bunch of mint leaves, dry it real good, and she'd make it in a 3 gallon jar on the porch. Sure tasted good after throwing bales all day long.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
There's something about tea leaching Iron or potassium from your body.
Any body know any thing about it?

Casey
Second only to water itself, tea is the most consumed beverage in the world. People in starvation societies still drink tea, which is in fact an excellent way of ensuring they have safe (ie, boiled) drinking water. If tea had an bad nutritional side effects, they would be well known, but in fact the nutritional benefits are well understood. Before the Chinese invaded, Tibetans actually relied on tea as the main green vegetable component of their diets. The Japanese used to receive most of the iron in their diets from the iron kettles they used to boil water for tea. In our modern diets, tea is believed to supply cancer fighting flavonoids and tons of antioxidants. I could go on, but check out this site picked from the top of a Google search:
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/antioxidants-in-green-and-black-tea .

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
We use the half gallon jars for tea or fruit infused water. Sun brewed is the best.

Sweet tea, cast iron skillets, pretty women, and the CMP. Best things about the south.

ALL of the above....except add to pretty women "southern drawl".....nothing beats an attractive woman in Daisy Dukes, a tight top, and a "Hey Shuga ya awright today?"...unless this described woman is holding a well seasoned cast iron skillet, CMP catalog, and a freshly maintained M14 slung across her back saying to you as you wake up "Morn'n shuga....will fresh eggs do ya ok? oh and here's ya gun reading and I cleaned and rubbed lube all ova this here rifle ya call Daisy...kinda like girl on girl"...as she turns and walks away from the door with a southern smile and giggle.....

......please nobody wake me from this daydream.......; )

·
Registered
973 Posts
I use gallon pickle jugs that I find for a couple of dollars at thrift stores.
Put 4 or 5 herbal tea bags in them, and let them sit in the Arizona sun for 6 hours. I've measured 130 deg F when they are brought in.

Poured over ice - yum!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not to mention. That was one of the only drinks besides water that we got in eastern KY during the summer as a child.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts