M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great MAS 49/56 rifle. It is a CAI import, but this rifle is still in 7,5 french. It was never was re-worked at the arsenal. I have an interest in French rifles since I have relatives who fought in WWI from France, and another who was a paratrooper at the ill fated Dien Bien Phu battle. (also on the other side of the family a WWII Marine vet - Guam, Iwo Jima) Very proud of my heritage.

My question is:
I bought a bunch of Prvi 7,5 ammo. I have used it in my MAS 36 and it works great. But with the 49/56 free floating fire pin will it slam fire rounds? This is not military ammo, or primed. What can I do to adapt and be able to shoot? Any answers would be great.

Thanks. Bevo.
OLIVEHELME

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
FWIW I've shot PRVI out of mine(2) that are in 7,5 with no problems. Maybe PRVI changed primers? I'd check with them before changing a good rifle.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They probably did not change the primers. I have just been reading about commercial ammo in 49's or 49/56's. People describe changing out the firing pin or doing something else I am unfamiliar with doing. Possibly it will work flawlessly. I have always just been worried about a slam fire in any fire arm. Safety to me and not hurting the rifle.
Guess I need to shoot it and just find out that way.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Look at Post#12 in that Thread!

·
Registered
684 Posts
;) Pura Vida

Privi uses milspecprimers, while I have not shot privi in my MAS I do use CCI #34 primers and with good magazines springs there is enough friction chambering a round that it slows down the carrier just enough, I still get a good dimple on the unfired primer but no rat-ta-ta. And if you do have a problem don't post it on line or you might get a late night visit like some M1 and AR15 guys have.

Pura Vida

1 - 5 of 5 Posts