M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't have one but had been considering buying one. Unfortunately, I had already bought another brand just before I came across the 795LTR. I like the detachable magazine, the barrel length, and everything else. I think the TSM200 rear sight is a real selling point; it was for me. I don't think you can go wrong having one.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
IMHO the beauty of the 795 is the barrel/accuracy but the plastic stock & trigger guard are the weak points.

I worked a deal with a LGS for @$209 for an unknown number of new 795-LTR earlier this year. I coordinated for a small group going to Project Appleseeds. Think we ended up getting six or seven rifles at that price. Our 795-LTRs came with Nylon GI-type slings and some thought a cotton sling would slip less. Second magazine is great and TechSights are great, although I mounted a scope I already had and ran that for two Appleseeds.

The 795-LTR has a poly stock which seems to get loose here in Florida's sun & heat. When the sling was pulling on the fore end, the stock was pushing on the right side of the barrel. I'm going to try to mod the stock to stiffen the front some and clearance the barrel. If that fails a wood Marlin 60 stock can be modified for use.

Their other weakness is the poly trigger guard that can crack near the rear action screw. Marlin sent me a free replacement guard but I replaced mine with a DIP aluminum guard and trigger, ~$70 I think.

The rifles function well. They do have heavy trigger pulls but ease to work on. Mine was just over 7 lbs and reworked it down to about 4.5 lbs.

The stock butt is a bit slick for me as well and I plan to put on some traction tape or stipple it.

I modified mine to be able to slingshot the bolt in a magazine change. Not necessary but a "feature" for me.

I've polished/buffed the fed ramp, bolt, hammer strike face, other moving parts, and cut a single loop off the hammer spring. I also disabled the mag safety. I relived the stock mag well to ease reloads.

A lot of my mods were just because I could and not because I had to, as the rifle ran fine out of the box.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mine predates the out of the box LTR release, but the addition of the Tech sight and sling swivels was a no brainer. Only one thing was missing to make it a complete Appleseed training device.....

The Magazine, inert, 1 each, for dry firing wasn't included with the rifle as-purchased. (Took 5 minutes to fabricate and adjust to operate the magazine disconnect.) Since it was intended as an Appleseed loaner rifle, the option of disabling the mag disconnect was a no-no.USN2

There's little that needs doing for these rifles to improve them, and it's all simple.USNA

Reactions: Lurp
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.