M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Got a line on an Marlin 1894C .357 lever gun . It's a JM stamped rifle NIB from 2009....for $900 .. Should I go for it?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
For $900 I would look for one without the crossbolt safety. But if it trips you trigger buy it! They are not going to get any cheaper!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For $900 I would look for one without the crossbolt safety. But if it trips you trigger buy it! They are not going to get any cheaper!!
They are pretty scarce....I forget the year they started the safety?.. But the JM guns are getting harder to find....

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
They are pretty scarce....I forget the year they started the safety?.. But the JM guns are getting harder to find....
They are... 2009 should be pretty safe. If you are able to cycle the action and take a look at the fit-n-finish, I would.

That is the absolute top end of what I would pay for a modern Marlin lever 1894, however, even given the demand for the JMs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are... 2009 should be pretty safe. If you are able to cycle the action and take a look at the fit-n-finish, I would.

That is the absolute top end of what I would pay for a modern Marlin lever 1894, however, even given the demand for the JMs.
I agree...He sent me a quick video of him cycling through a tube of mixed 38 special and .357 both slowly and fast...It looks perfect... I bought it...;)

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I agree...He sent me a quick video of him cycling through a tube of mixed 38 special and .357 both slowly and fast...It looks perfect... I bought it...;)
If you need more help with it, go to the source...

MarlinOwners

Firing Line and MO are about the only gun-related forums I frequent...

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Didn't happen if you don't show us photos!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hi Guys,
Got a line on an Marlin 1894C .357 lever gun . It's a JM stamped rifle NIB from 2009....for $900 .. Should I go for it?
$900? I paid $400 for mine back in the day, but considering that they're not making them anymore and the continued rise in prices for various reasons, for a NIB 1894C, I'd probably drop the hammer.

Heck, I paid $950 for a pinned and recessed 4" S&W 51 without a box, because it's likely that we'll never see that level of craftsmanship out of a factory firearm in our lifetimes, and I wanted one, and they sold for less than $200 at one time.

BTW, Marlin started the crossbolt in 1984, and there are kits available to replace it if you want to.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/crossbolt_safety.htm

edited to add: I see that you bought it. I don't think that you'll regret the decision. I like mine very much, and it's a great little gun to have when traveling to less gun friendly areas than an M1A or AR. It's what I take when traveling from TN to ME.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not sure what "JM stamped" means to it. The price sounds steep to me but I do want a nice Marlin in .357 for myself someday.

Congrats on the purchase! I look forward to the pics...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure what "JM stamped" means to it. The price sounds steep to me but I do want a nice Marlin in .357 for myself someday.

Congrats on the purchase! I look forward to the pics...
JM means it a pre-Remington buy out Marlin..made at the Conn. factory before it was closed...

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's what I figured. When I first started inquiring about the Marlins there seemed to be some questions about the quality of the ones built after a certain period. I never saw anything that actually confirmed that there was a significant loss in quality but as with most things I'm sure the newer models aren't "made like they used to be". I would of course prefer one made by the older standards so it sounds like you made a good buy to me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, but your rifle looks like CB (Cowboy) octagon barrel...1894C is the carbine type...You have a beauty there...What caliber is it?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I have an 1894FG... .41Mag. I preferred the old C model, so I swapped the pistol grip stock out for a smooth straight-grip stock and lever... much happier. I also put a Williams peep sight on it... my old eyes just can't make out the buckhorn rear anymore.

The changeover from Marlin to Remington is fairly well known in the Marlin circles. Remington came and got all the tooling from the CT plant, took it to NY (I think...) and just threw all the tools up started cranking out hardware. The quality of the first Remington-built Marlins in some cases was abysmal.

My FG has a crossbolt safety, I know there are kits to disappear it, but it doesn't get in the way and I don't really care. There are some other mods, like the Happy Trigger, and the carrier modification (if you are having consistent jams.)

Reactions: dsdmmat

·
Registered
69 Posts
Those Marlin Cowboys are great rifles. I have one in .357 and one in 45-70. Alot of CAS shooters are buying them up to compete with so the CB models are normally going for $900 or higher, even used.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Ah ok, mine is a 357 / 38.
If you ever want to sell it, just go to MarlinOwners.com and tell them. Then watch the feeding frenzy begin ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a pre-hammer block safety 1894C in 44 Magnum that I got in a trade. It needs a new magazine spring though as if the lever is actuated slowly the round won't get kicked all the way out and jam up the action. I did put a temporary spacer in the magazine tube and it seemed to clear it up as it would function no matter how slowly the lever was actuated. I'm not sure if the rifle is "me" so I really don't know what to do with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts