M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stages of Gun grief – I am dealing with this gang. Brand new 1894. It will get better.

Shock and Denial- I just heard a spring sound and a washer and bolt just fell from my new rifle- lever is locked up - It can’t be?

Pain and Guilt- I just laid out nearly 600.00 bucks for this rifle. The import was less than 500.00- I knew better , or did I?; but it appeared and functioned great…It hurts.

Anger & Bargaining- Damn them Damn them all to &%##. I’ll return it to the local gun shop and get another one..If I work on it I can fix it…

Depression/Loneliness- No one answers the phone. Email not responded to. Now on day two with the phone. Once received turnaround time is 3-4 weeks..part of my big game season is going to change….

Working thru it /Outlook is better- Well UPS will get it there – Pro’s will work on it, and in return I can be assured a fully functioning rifle..meanwhile get reloading dies , powder, and …..

Acceptance and Hope.

My brand new in the box Marlin 1894 in 44 is returned better than ever. Works like a dream accurate to beat the band… I ride, shoot straight , speak the truth, all my years til I move on to the Happy Hunting Ground.

Will see…

·
Registered
789 Posts
Your first mistake was 'brand new 1894.' I wouldn't buy a New Marlin to save my life... even with the understanding that a true JM 1894 will command a premium.
Only to a few I would surmise. I own both "JM" marlins and "remlins" and both have functioned equally well. I have had NIB guns break a part the first time at the range - had them repaired - and never had another issue with them. It does happen folks as guns are nothing more than an amalgam of "parts" and parts can fail - especially those bought in bulk such as springs, screws, etc. As to "brand new" - while this may be the case one must not forget that it is not unusual for "new" guns to sit in storage somewhere before finally being sold. My "NIB" .44 magnum 1894 had actually been made 3 years earlier per the serial number. It just took that long to filter thru the distributors to the store where I finally bought it. USA2

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I have a 2010 vintage 1894C (357) only problem I have had with it is one of my very light 38 loads that I use in my revolver didn't have enough powder to push it out of the carbine, it was stuck in the muzzle. But that's not the rifle's fault.

Other than that it's been 100%.

Good Luck Sir!

Justin

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Only to a few I would surmise. I own both "JM" marlins and "remlins" and both have functioned equally well. I have had NIB guns break a part the first time at the range - had them repaired - and never had another issue with them. It does happen folks as guns are nothing more than an amalgam of "parts" and parts can fail - especially those bought in bulk such as springs, screws, etc. As to "brand new" - while this may be the case one must not forget that it is not unusual for "new" guns to sit in storage somewhere before finally being sold. My "NIB" .44 magnum 1894 had actually been made 3 years earlier per the serial number. It just took that long to filter thru the distributors to the store where I finally bought it. USA2
That's certainly true, but, as you know, the Remington Marlins had some serious teething problems after production commenced after the move. My only wish is they ultimately get a handle on it and start turning out arms worthy of the Marlin name.

Given the premium the JM guns seem to command, I wouldn't expect to find any lingering CT Marlins left in the pipeline at this point... but there are always exceptions. GI1

·
Registered
789 Posts
That's certainly true, but, as you know, the Remington Marlins had some serious teething problems after production commenced after the move. My only wish is they ultimately get a handle on it and start turning out arms worthy of the Marlin name.

Given the premium the JM guns seem to command, I wouldn't expect to find any lingering CT Marlins left in the pipeline at this point... but there are always exceptions. GI1
I know there was considerable "angst" at the move to Ilion - and much of the subsequent anger about quality was "tinged" by this underlying issue. It should be noted that most of those rifles which were "highlighted" in the past as examples of Remington's poor QC were manufactured in late 2009-2010 during the timeframe of the plant relocation. Once relocated Ilion then had to retrain a workforce to produce said lever actions as Remington had no experience with these types of rifles. Further - after relocation Ilion decided to throw out the old Marlin equipment and replace it with more modern CNC machines. During this period all production was stopped to let them "work the bugs out". Now in all fairness one must not forget (as those who love to extol the virtues of JM Marlins do) that Marlin had 100 years to get things right on these "wonderful" JM Marlins. Who today knows what kind of "teething problems" Marlin had in the past. In addition to my Ilion Remlin I also own a "MM" Mayfield Marlin from their Kentucky plant and the quality has been good compared to my much older JM model 60 from over 25 years ago. One can always find exceptions to the rule but I suspect that things have and will continue to improve as time goes along. While some lament to sale of Marlin it is merely one in a long line of many over time. Consider how many gun companies we have had in this country in the past 150 years and how many have survived until today. Such is the nature of the market as companies get bought and sold over time. USA2

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In addition to my Ilion Remlin I also own a "MM" Mayfield Marlin from their Kentucky plant and the quality has been good compared to my much older JM model 60 from over 25 years ago. One can always find exceptions to the rule but I suspect that things have and will continue to improve as time goes along. While some lament to sale of Marlin it is merely one in a long line of many over time. Consider how many gun companies we have had in this country in the past 150 years and how many have survived until today. Such is the nature of the market as companies get bought and sold over time. USA2
Thanks RLA and all for the posts.

The 1894 I found at the shop imho was just fine - finish, wood fit , action a touch rough (new , not unexpected) and dang I wanted a Marlin. I am sure that this is just one of those unfortunate events with mechanical items.

The reasons I bought the Marlin (and a Remington 750 in 30-06) is both need and want; the need is hunting (can do a lot with those calibers/loads) and the want is I want rifles stamped Ilion NY!

My Remingtons and Marlin (and Ithacas) are/were NY Craftsmen made and I value that.

So, I handled a 1895 GG at the shop yesterday….thats on the list now!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Thanks RLA and all for the posts.

The 1894 I found at the shop imho was just fine - finish, wood fit , action a touch rough (new , not unexpected) and dang I wanted a Marlin. I am sure that this is just one of those unfortunate events with mechanical items.

The reasons I bought the Marlin (and a Remington 750 in 30-06) is both need and want; the need is hunting (can do a lot with those calibers/loads) and the want is I want rifles stamped Ilion NY!

My Remingtons and Marlin (and Ithacas) are/were NY Craftsmen made and I value that.

So, I handled a 1895 GG at the shop yesterday….thats on the list now!
My "Remlin" 1894 also has good fit & finish and shoots fine with AE 240gr loads. When I first got it the action was a bit "sticky" in one spot. I found a small metal bur on the underside of the bolt when the level inserts. A little filing to remove it as well as on the lever itself where it inserts into the bolt followed by some Birchwood Casey Permablue to treat the area and the action slicked up considerably. I then added a Wild West Tech Happy Trigger as all Marlin factory triggers (even JM ones) are crappy and it's good to go now. USA2

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I have a lead on a '95 1894S JM in 44 mag in 98% PLUS (no wear I could see) condition . . later the he same day I compared it to a brand new 1894S Remlin . . there was no comparison, The "used" JM was superior in finish, trigger, and slickness of the action . . . but at a $150.00 premium . . . I think I will be going for the '95 JM.

·
Registered
426 Posts
While Remington can build quality bolt-action rifles, they can not do so with lever-action rifles branded with the Marlin name. Like someone said above, I would not buy a new Marlin Lever-Action either; not without checking it thoroughly and getting a letter of understanding from the selling gun shop.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I purchased a brand new Marlin Papoose recently. Lots and lots of problems, details elided (if you must know look here LINK).

My five stages were:
1) 1st return to factory, got it back but not fixed properly
2) 2nd return to factory, got it back but not fixed properly
3) 3rd return to factory, got it back but not fixed properly
4) 4th return to factory, got it back but not fixed properly
5) 5th return to factory, finally agreed to refund my purchase price

It really stinks to get a new gun and then just have nothing but problems. The Remlin customer service you talk to is pretty decent. They have zero control over how returns get fixed though. They covered shipping back and forth. And then, they finally refunded my purchased price (but of course not CA sales tax, DROS fees, gas back and forth to UPS).

Marlin, you are forever tainted for me. I do not even want their old stuff.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I hate the safety on the new marlins. You load up for a stage of cowboy action, lay the rifle on the table and it pushes the crossbar safety halfway on. Found a workaround for that though. There is a setscrew that can be tightened down onto the crossbar safety.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have quite a few Marlin's, all of which are pre Freedom Group/Cerberus. Every one is of better fit and finish than anything that I've seen come from the new owners. The move to Ilion may have been part of the problem, but looking at the present offerings, they still haven't caught up to the quality evident prior to the purchase by FG. I would not purchase anything made by the new owners, and would pay the "premium" for a JM version, because the fit and finish quality is definitely better.

I have never had any of the problems described by the OP with any of the JM Marlins that I have owned. Whether I was lucky, or whether the quality was better, I would say the latter is the more likely reason, given what I have observed.

I know for a fact that the acquisition of Marlin and Bushmaster by the Freedom Group/Cerberus has resulted in a decline in quality in both brands, as I have three examples of pre FG Bushmasters that are head and shoulders above anything put out since the FG buy out. I have seven JM Marlins in various calibers, which are also better fit and finish than any post FG that I have seen. I've never owned a post FG Marlin, so can't speak to their function, but judging by what I've read, it hasn't been an improvement.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the posts.

Again, the Marlin looked very good versus the previous Remlin models I have seen in the last 3-4 years…

I have not seen many aged Marlins hereabouts and I understand a price premium but at some point I would probably revisit the Winchester (or Miroku) line. It's the 44mag chambering that has my interest.

I have owned several Winnies and this is the first Marlin. To Winchester I may well return.

FWIW the '17 Winnie '94 - 30/30 was the smoothest..the long wood '47 was the neatest looking and the Trapper SRC was the handiest….

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmm….

I have a lead on a '95 1894S JM in 44 mag in 98% PLUS (no wear I could see) condition . . later the he same day I compared it to a brand new 1894S Remlin . . there was no comparison, The "used" JM was superior in finish, trigger, and slickness of the action . . . but at a $150.00 premium . . . I think I will be going for the '95 JM.
Nice.

Do I need to make calls to 'stota or the 'boro shops to see what they have?

GI2

LoB hope all is well - I look forward to pics!

Reactions: LoB
1 - 20 of 37 Posts