M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
That is complete horseshit...what the he'll is our country coming to?

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
This is why the military has a leadership vacuum. As soon as someone worth a damn shows up, they ruin his career.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Can’t say I am surprised. I am disappointed in the lack of backbone and balls the Generals and Admirals in the pentagon have. I wonder what the Generals and Admirals of WWII would say of their counterparts today. I have a feeling it wouldn’t be pretty.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
This is more than a travisty. This officer did his duty only to be upon by his CO. The CO is covering his 6 at the expence of one of his officers for no reason.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
This is stupid. This man did the right thing, and he's being brought up on charges because of it. I'm not even fully understanding why there are charges in the first place, but the CO is the FIRST person that should have had his back. What the hell are they teaching in officer school these days?

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
By both training and temperment, Marines are doers with a goal-orientated mentality. Once committed to a tactical situation, Marines become totally committed and are there to win, pure and simple. Expecting them to perform like Army civil affairs personnel is unrealistic and inappropriate.

God bless and Semper Fi!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
THIS SHOULD BE A NON-FREAKING-ISSUE!

Well done sir, good call on all that went down. this crap is just one more prime example of the crap beurocractic, politically correct minded a-holes that have permeated our upper eschlons. this is compounded by the fact that 99.9 percent of politicians are turds. its early and i cant spell wirf a dam eether. stoopid battallion commanders.

cant believe i reenlisted for 6 more years. I swear, if im ever a CSM i will not a run a BN like this. fire me- but my guys will be killing the enemy. dead all day.

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Calm down everybody

This is why Blackwater was created. When one door closes another one opens. The 1LT can do the same job for 3-4 times the pay. Nobody ever said this s**t was ever even close to being fair. On the bright side at least he was 25 and not 45 when his eyes were opened.

·
Eye Master
4,162 Posts
I think this is a case of the media trying to make a story sensational by leaving out some of the facts.

What they presented makes no sense. THey claim he had permission from his commanders to engage this target, then say he was censured for it .... there's some details missing here. Our military leaders are not clueless, they do not lose faith in a man's command ability for disabling a tractor while producing no civilian casualties.

If there is someone I have no faith in, it is the media, they are liars who are there to make a sale, not provide truth.

·
Registered
823 Posts
So they were teenagers. What's their point? Teenagers have long been used for offensive actions in that region.

In any case, they were uninjured. I fail to see the problem.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Bizarre!

Ok, His Battalion Commander determined Lt. Waddell had violated the Rules Of Engagement by Ordering Snipers Under His Command to shoot at and disable a tractor surrounded by a group of Afghans attempting to flee with a wounded Afghan 'Bomb Maker' He HAD Permission To Shoot!

So...it would appear, that IF the Sniper(s)Could Have Gotten Off A SECOND Shot, A Mortal Shot... At The 'Bomb Maker' Target...BEFORE The Afghan's Were Able To Reach Him Or Put Him On The Tractor...
(Or, If The First Shot Had HIT the 'Bomb Maker' In A Spot Where He Was Instantly DEAD! ...That Too Would Have Avoided The Whole Fiasco!!!)

Lt. Waddell And/Or His Snipers, Could Have Received A Commendation For THAT!

BIZARRE !!!

GI3

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You have ROE in every modern conflict and its OK, as long as they apply for both sides. When fighting against insurgents in an asymmetric war you have to calculate the risk of collateral damage very carefully. This lieutenant made an acceptable military decision on the base of his available knowledge. This decision should be backed by his commander. I have learned, that there are no right or wrong decisions in a battle environment, only more ore less appropriate ones. He probably saved a lot of lives. And damaging a tractor?? My god, are we running out of real problems over there?
Wolf

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
You have ROE in every modern conflict and its OK, as long as they apply for both sides. When fighting against insurgents in an asymmetric war you have to calculate the risk of collateral damage very carefully. This lieutenant made an acceptable military decision on the base of his available knowledge. This decision should be backed by his commander. I have learned, that there are no right or wrong decisions in a battle environment, only more ore less appropriate ones. He probably saved a lot of lives. And damaging a tractor?? My god, are we running out of real problems over there?
Wolf
Oberst, I agree. Lets make war, or dont.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thank God they didnt urinate on the dead tractor.
You can draw a line between those urinating Marines and the 1stLt. There probably was the order from a higher command to do some image enhancing actions for the press and the pederast president Karsai.
Wolf

·
Registered
532 Posts
Duh he shot a tractor with a 7.62mm. I would have called arty down on it with HE and airbursts and got them all. Don't care how old the combatants are if you want to play ok we play but don't get bent when we bring the damdam down on ya.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.