M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marine with Company A, 3rd Recon Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, about to go into the field, 1967 [1020x1024]

Sergeant David E. Weimer

I found the same name for Air Force and US. Army Vietnam vets that passed away after the war, when searching the wall names. Can anyone confirm this is a US Marine?

I like the sling setup.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
The rank insignia on his Kabar sheath is a Corporal. 2 stripes with crossed rifles has been a Corporal since 1959.
Take a close look and you will see that the Corporal rank insignia has been formed by combining a PFC chevron atop a Lance Corporal chevron. Typical Marine creativity!

Though he is wearing quite a bit of army web gear, I suspect he is a Marine as recon wore whatever gear they deemed suitable.

·
Premium Member
15,775 Posts
Sure is a mixmaster in the garment department.
The cotton utility trousers are a dead give away.
No one but a Marine would mix so much different stuff.
Camo floppy cover.
Jungle jacket.
H harness.
Sling is set up to go with the full auto capabilities of the M14.
Either it is real or someone is getting ready for Holloween.

Semper Fi
Art
RVN 67 - 68

·
Super Moderator
11,039 Posts
The sling looks like it was taken off of a Sea Bag and looped between the barrel and G/C for ease of long walks and trips out in the field. However its the first time I've seen the K-bar attached like that, all the one's I've seen in the past were handle pointed down...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The sling looks like it was taken off of a Sea Bag and looped between the barrel and G/C for ease of long walks and trips out in the field. However its the first time I've seen the K-bar attached like that, all the one's I've seen in the past were handle pointed down...
I have never studied the way they carried knives, but when I was a kid and put some gear together, I put my knife on harness with handle down, my dad made switch the handle up, he said in the jungle or woods vines will grab the keeper, and you won't have a knife. I guess he was speaking from experience in Vietnam

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Looks like a Div Recon Marine from after utilities were standardized with the army, as the trousers would indicate. The jungle jacket/utility trouser mix was common and his phase 3 haircut rules out Force Recon. Has to be a Marine because armed soldiers would be unlikely loiterers around a Marine hooch. Also, his facial expression reflects someone who has seen a lot of images of Chesty. The rank on the K-Bar sheath is a new one to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found this photo in the book "The M14-Type Rifle" from North Cape Publications from Joe Poyer.
The title of this photo is there:

Sergeant David E. Weber, 3rd Marine Division at Phu Bai in 1967. USMC photo.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
To me it looks like a practical way to carry the FA 14 through the bush! Wish I could see how he has it attached to the butt stock.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Looks to be carrying his FA14 like a BAR.
Practical, and handy, when shooting from the hip;
allowing the off-hand to push down on the forend, while the sling suspends the rifle from the shoulder. Lots of muzzle-flip when fired in FA mode.

louie, out!

Reactions: Dekker
1 - 20 of 43 Posts