M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all , can someone help me out on this? my son is deploying soon to afghan. we are want to get his unit helmet upgrade. i talk to my son about it and he said. they have to were what the corps issued them. is he right? here is the web site on the helmet upgrade.http://www.operation-helmet.org/ thank you for your help

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello all , can someone help me out on this? my son is deploying soon to afghan. we are want to get his unit helmet upgrade. i talk to my son about it and he said. they have to were what the corps issued them. is he right? here is the web site on the helmet upgrade...thank you for your help
This is my first post to this site and I felt much better posting it here, so greetings all.

FWIW, I have no idea what type of unit your son is in or the leadership dynamic within it, but I would get the upgrade kit in his hands no matter and either have him install it or at least have him talk to his plt. sgt or 1stSgt about installing it. There are plenty of USMC units deployed utilizing the upgrade I've read and if the Corps is anything like it was when I was in, you sometimes have to accept for yourself the fact that in the Corps, it's good to be hard, but it's hard to be smart.

God's speed to your son and thank him for his service!

·
Registered
113 Posts
As far as I know every Marine has this kit already. I know its standard issue for the Army. I remember back in 2005 when I was in the Navy and attached to the Marines, everyone had this 4 point system. Just tell him to ask his team leader, or squad leader if he is going to be issued one or if he has to get one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The upgrade linked by Marine dad is for the Oregon Aero pads, significantly better than the pad system in the current issue LWH K-pot. Your son should have no problem switching it out and could get one from Operation Helmet I believe.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Some units could be real pricks about using USGI stuff, But if it was me going over I would use it.

According to the link that was provided, the upgrade kit is free of charge. I say get it or him.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i fortunately never had to see combat, so let that bear in mind my response.

in my experience, we got away with a lot more non-standard gear in the field than we ever would in garrison.

i say send it with him. my guess is if he holds off using it a short period, no one may really notice or care when he does.

·
Registered
266 Posts
yeah get it to him... Corps isn't always well equip.

its stupid, sometimes you can get chewed out for un-authorized mods or changes to your gear.

Its safety, so id say the safer the better!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Right now 1 Mar Div is doing everything they can to ensure deploying units have the lightweight helmet with the padding like you're talking about. I'm sure they will take care of your son. If he doesn't have one now, he will in theater most likely. With budget issues and damaged gear it is always a thin line for us, we don't spend money from the money press like the Air Force. But if he is in a place seeing heavy combat they will take care of him.
I can say he is best to stay with what is issued. Depending on the unit he is with, upgrades can vary. When I was with 1/2 the infantry was very strict about gear as issued. When I served with 2nd Force Recon, we were very free to utilize company approved gear from open purchase. But the mission was far different between the two. Unit commanders have lots of control of that.
I hope to see your boy down range.
Semper Fi,
Francis

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Don't ask - don't tell. Send him the upgrade kit and tell him to use it. It's easier....especially in the Corps.... to beg forgiveness than to ask permission!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts