M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
It was also the first combat drop for the US 17th Airborne Divisions.

The U.S. 17th Airborne Division dropped 9,387 personnel from 836 C-47s, 72 C-46s, and deployed more than 900 Waco CG-4A gliders.

The British 6th Airborne Division dropped 7,220 personnel from 42 C-54s and 752 C-47s, and deployed 420 Horsa and Hamilcar gliders.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Hi,
Maybe it's just me but, the Guy in the pic, on the right, seems to be thinking...

"Gee...The War is almost over, and here I am, fixing to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, into NAZI Germany!"

Atmosphere Sky Black-and-white Atmospheric phenomenon Animal migration

Reactions: sbird

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Hi,
Growing up in S. Georgia, an older friend of my Father was a Country Mechanic, and a WW2 Vet.

He told the story of finally going to War just after D-Day and there was of course a lot of American Casualties reported in the Paper.

His mother was there to see him off of course, and she is upset and crying...

He looked at his Mother and told her...

"Don't worry Mama, if you hear of me being on the Front"...

"You can bet they are catching Hell in the Rear!!!"

True story! :cool:

Reactions: RealReglarGuy

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Paratroopers of the U.S. 17th Airborne Division enroute to Germany during Allied operation Varsity, March 1945
How many are left in this Country, EUrabia (former Europe), Pacific, are worthy of their sacrifice. Many were and have been just "kids". Courage beyond any spoken description. Code, beyond description.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
The photo in the OP has been attributed to every Airborne op in WWII.

However, I believe it is a movie still. The trooper already has the hook in his hand, yet his weapon is unsecured for the drop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts