M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The only precision ground ones I have ever had were a set by Grace. Not really worth it. I use the standard and thin bits (European screws) from Brownells. If you go British, they call them "turnscrews" instead of "screwdrivers."
I have some grace precision tools (the ones with the wooden handles). Higher than usual upfront cost, but when I once had a problem with a bit that bent they not only sent me a replacement no questions asked, they also asked if I wanted to send any bits that were not completely sharp for replacement. They keep that up, and if I don’t die early it promises to be worth the cost.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
But I don't have any real collectables . . .all my pals say they're all "just a bunch of old army guns."

"Just an old army gun . . ." I've heard that a few hundred times.
Once, when I was jobless, and broke, a guy I grew up with, a Plumber, gave me a job helping him . . you know, going and fetching stuff, holding a pipe, etc.
My buddy was talking to the owner of the house, an old guy, must have been 50 years old or more, the subject of guns came up . .. .
Owner says: "I've got an old army gun . . ."
Friend: "Yeah? What do you have?"
Owner: "Oh, it's just an old army .45 I brought back from the war."
Friend: "You want to sell it? How much you want?"
Owner: "I'll take 50 bucks CASH for it."

It was a genuine WWII Remington Rand . .

This was about 1997 or so . .

Just an old Army gun!
Wish I could get the old army guns for 50 lol

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
As other have said, get a Wheeler or Brownells set. Replace tips at the very first sign of wear.
This.

I have the Wheeler set. You also need to keep a steady smooth strong hand on these as well. Hollow ground will not mess up a screw unless you are careless.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Even the best hollow ground sets need custom work . If your working on high end pieces you have to have a master set covering all size ranges . The bits need high polish and sharp edges broken for use on high luster screws . Never damaged one on a Colt yet using this method.
The paper trick will add to the protection.
Unless you break one the magna tips can be altered /reworked easily by hand or milling.
Sometimes you have to custom alter them too.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Just a large hardware store screw and bit to show the paper trick . Any of my magna tips I used on Winchesters or Colts I used a cratex bob on dremmel to burnish surfaces and a diamond EZ Lap stone to deburr.
Final step fit width and slot ,paper filler for wiggle in fit .Save that royal blue from scratches.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Chapman MFG makes a nice set to
I found the Chapman bits rather brittle. Maybe I'm just talented, but it seems like they chipped or broke nearly every time that I used them.

Reactions: RealReglarGuy

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I found the Chapman bits rather brittle. Maybe I'm just talented, but it seems like they chipped or broke nearly every time that I used them.
I've got Chapman sets I've had from the 80's without issues. I got this through work that's a big step up from Chapman Super micro ratchet set

Reactions: RealReglarGuy

·
Registered
230 Posts
Brownell's Magna-Tips may seem expensive but IMO worth every penny. I bought a 44-bit set years ago and never regretted it. Later complemented with some Wiha torx bits for scope rings.

Bugger up something once on an expensive gun with a cheap tool and you'll wish you had the right one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
One would think that after all this time tool makers would have given up and fixed this issue across the board. A screwdriver climbing out of a cross head slot is not a problem unique to firearms and is a curse on everyone. I bought a set of wood handled screwdrivers at a gun show back when the earth was cooling and have adjusted the tips here and there as needed to accommodate a particular firearm. They don't come out unless there is a firearm present.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had chapman and Grace screwdrivers for years (decades). Actually broken a few chapman bits, but I work on buggered up guns with frozen screws. The shaft ratchet puts a lot of pressure on the bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I
Seem to recall years back seeing screwdrivers which prevented (or helped) one from marring the firearm?
Do they make these, or was I dreaming?
I think what you are referring to are what us old folks refer to as "hollow ground screwdrivers" the phrase refers to the way edges are formed. If you google the phrase you will find screwdrivers from brands like Wheeler, Forster and Brownells.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sitting here with a Chapman No. 9600 set that I have had since 1978. I have broken one tip which the Chapman Company replaced upon return. Maybe that heat treat goes awry occasionally. (I've had that happen!)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts